Ok, let's see your stats!

Options
cmeiron
cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
I am a true "beginner" in that I haven't lifted weights for probably 4-5 years (!) I'm pretty intimidated/awed by so many of the people on MFP who are lifting hundreds of pounds, but I know I'll get there eventually!

So, here are the max lifts I've set up for myself for this first round (again, I'm using dumbbells, but I'll write the "total" weight):

WEEK 1:

Squats - 40lb
Bench Presses - 30lb
Bent-Over Rows - 40lb
Overhead Barbell Presses - 30lb
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - 50lb
Barbell Curls - 30lb
Calf Raises - 15lb (I'm doing them one leg at a time)
+ I add 4 sets of triceps dips

I feel like I'd like to be doing more, but adding an extra rep yesterday on some of these was pretty challenging. I'm going to stick with these weights for the full five weeks and then everything will be bumped by 10 lbs (obviously that's more than the 10% recommended, but with these low weights, and with the 5-lb increments of dumbbells over 15 lbs, there's not much I can do about it). I expect THAT to be pretty tough!

So, I've shown you mine, now show me yours!!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I’m using dumbbells instead of barbells as well. I currently have an adjustable dumbbell set that goes up to 15 kg (33 lbs) in 1 kg (2.2 lbs) increments per dumbbell. Because I also have an extra set of bars that is 0.5 kg heavier then the ones with the set, I can effectively go up in 0.5 kg increments. For the squats and deadlifts I'm already about to max out on the set. For all the upper body exercises they will probably get me through another 4 months. I intent to get another set as well (up to 30 kg) to be able to progress on the lower body stuff as well.

Below my stats for the max. lifts in the first cycle of All Pro’s routine, written down as the "total" weight:

Squats: 23 kg / 50.6 lb - this is not my max, but I’m keeping the weight relatively low because I really have tio work on my form with this exercise.
    Floor Presses: 13 kg / 28.6 lb - I don’t have a bench, I’m doing floor presses instead
    Bent-Over Rows: 15 kg / 33 lb
    Overhead Shoulder Press: 12 kg / 26.4 lb – I’m doing Arnold presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 30 kg / 66 lb – at the gym I did these with 40 kg / 88 lb, so I really have to get that other dumbbell set.
    Curls: 13 kg / 28.6 lb
    Calf Raises: not doing these because my calves are already very well developed and so tight (due to wearing high heels a lot) that my squats suffer from it.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    So we're at a pretty similar stage, then! I'm also mostly worried about form this time around :) I suspect my deadlift could go up a fair bit, I have no trouble meeting my reps but I have stupidly-tight hamstrings so feel a lot of pull - hoping that will loosen up a bit between now and the next round. Awesome stuff!

Also, the adjustable dumbbells are a really good idea...something for me to think about....
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was lifting a few months before I started the All Pro routine. However, it was kind of scattered and I needed a routine to focus my relatively short (~ 1 hour) gym sessions. I'm currently in cycle 5 of the All Pro routine - very few of my lifts increased beyond cycle 4 - especially now that I'm in a cutting phase. Below are my working weights from cycle 1 to cycle 5.

Squats: 165 -> 250
    Bench Press: 160 -> 185 (least gains here)
    Bent over row: 120 -> 185
    Overhead barbell: 65 -> 115
    Stiff Leg Deadlift: 185 -> 275
    barbell curls: 70 -> 95
    calf: 110 -> 250 (large gain because I didn't really know what I was doing at first)

If it matters...I'm 5' 10" and currently weigh 160 trending down in my quest for abs. On off days (Tu/Th) I run: 4 miles if bulking and now 5-7 since cutting.

Chest gains have been disappointing and I'm considering jumping off All Pro soon to begin a split routine that allows for more pectoral focus. Whatever I decide, I'll definitely keep the fundamental exercises from the All Pro routine.

Good luck all,
    Dave
  • cmeiron
    Options

calf: 110 -> 250 (large gain because I didn't really know what I was doing at first)

Hey Dave, can you share what you learned about the calf raises? I'm just holding a weight and doing them one-legged on the edge of a stair so I can bring my heel below horizontal. How do you do them?
  • whiteheaddg
    Options

Hey Dave, can you share what you learned about the calf raises? I'm just holding a weight and doing them one-legged on the edge of a stair so I can bring my heel below horizontal. How do you do them?

I think any way you choose to do these is fine - as long as you are achieving a full range of motion on the calf. I was losing my balance doing a standing calf raise on a block. Now I use a leg press machine - probably not ideal, but I'm able to remain consistent.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Dave, is there a specific program you're looking at to follow up All Pro's?
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    Dave, is there a specific program you're looking at to follow up All Pro's?

(Sorry - just saw this - been on vacation.)

Not really. I need to keep the basic weekly schedule - 3 x lifting / 2 x cardio for one hour each. I think I'll stick with whole body routines. I'm settling out on doing All Pro's routine for one day, a dumbbell / cable day, and a calisthenic day (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, dips, etc.) with some sprint work.

The All Pro routine has been great at helping me build overall strength - to include core muscles, but I've been going at it for a little over six months and feel I need to shake things up some to focus on specific muscle areas and, more importantly, keep my interest going.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    No problem, hope you had a good time!
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Cmeirun, you have about a week headstart on me with this. Are the amount of reps already getting harder for you?
    Tommorow I have day 1 of my third week.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    So far I'm managing the increase ok...I just finished week 3 today (10 reps) and managed all my reps. I find the squats and biceps curls at 100%to be tough, but otherwise I'm getting through things pretty well; I suspect I've lowballed my starting weights a little for some things, but I was mainly concerned about getting a good base and practicing good form this time around. That said, ask me again when I'm up to 12 reps :bigsmile: I'm looking forward to bumping the weights up on most (hopefully all) of these in a couple of weeks!
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Ok, 11 reps at 100% is hard :P (Squats, rows, curls especially) *phew*
  • pandorakick
    Options
    But you did them, right?! :bigsmile:
  • cmeiron
    Options
    But you did them, right?! :bigsmile:

Yup :laugh: The rows got a little ugly at the end, though...I may not be upping the weight on those at the end of this round, but we'll see!
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Well, I was right: the rows will stay as-is, but I'll be moving the rest up next Monday! Here's the plan:

Squats - 40lb -> 50 lb
    Bench Presses - 30lb -> 40 lb
    Bent-Over Rows - 40lb
    Overhead Barbell Presses - 30lb -> 40 lb
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - 50lb -> 60 lb
    Barbell Curls - 30lb -> 40 lb
    Single- leg Calf Raises - 15lb ->20 lb
    + I add 4 sets of triceps dips -> may try slightly weighted???

On another note, it turns out that my "SLDLs" are actually Romanian Deadlifts. I really like them (it's my fave lift!), and am a bit dubious about the hunch-backed form that is apparently "correct" for SLDLs, so I'm going to stick with them.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    I would have to look up Romanian deadlifts, not quite sure what the difference is.

You're increasing with more then the 10% that All Pro advises?
  • cmeiron
    Options
    I don't really have a choice...with dumbbells I only have 5 lb increments to work with now, so I'll have to make do with that for now. I'm hoping, as things get heavier, to get some plates for a bar so I can adjust the weights more accurately :)
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Ah ok, that makes sense! I hope that it won't prove too much of an increase on some lifts for you.

With my set I can effectively go up in 0.5 kg / 1 pound increments per dumbbell which will possibly result in too low an increase at 10%. Guess I'll be rounding up to migate that a bit.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Ah ok, that makes sense! I hope that it won't prove too much of an increase on some lifts for you.

With my set I can effectively go up in 0.5 kg / 1 pound increments per dumbbell which will possibly result in too low an increase at 10%. Guess I'll be rounding up to migate that a bit.

You've got the adjustable ones right? Luckeeeee :)
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    COMPLETE BEGINNER(!) here too.

WEEK 1: Heavy day

Squats - 50lb
    Bench Press - 45lb
    Bent-Over Row - 45lb
    Overhead Barbell Press - 35lb
    Stiff-Legged Deadlift - 55lb
    Barbell Curl - 40lb
    Calf Raises - 170lb (these are seated)

Working with a wrecked back, so some of these are challenging for me. Will check back for the next cycle and hope to increase these! :-)
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Wow, those are great starting stats, well done!!!