Writing / Journal: How, when?

Options
sheldonbe
sheldonbe Posts: 33 Member
As I've mentioned previously I am a complete newbie when it comes to OA, having just started a few weeks ago and (so far) only attended one face to face meeting. I'm reading and trying to learn as much about the steps and tools as I can. One of the tools I am thinking might be most beneficial for me is the tool of writing or keeping a journal.

I'm interested in hearing from people who do use the writing tool. What do you write about? When do you write? How often? Basically anything you can tell me about your writing. I realize it differs for everyone, but I am trying to get a general feel. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've just started working on the OA Workbook, and 1 goal I have is to write at least on one question each night. In the past, writing has been a huge part of my recovery, but I seem to find ways these days to avoid it. Hmmm could be something to look at.

When I do pick up my pen, I journal about everything -- how my food was, how I felt, what my day was like, resentments, dreams. Listen to your heart. I've been doing a lot of meetings and they are giving me good guidance on what works.
    :flowerforyou:
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use my journal in the morning to write what is on my mind and to share it with my Higher Power. I usually write anything that occurs to me from my little daily readers For Today and Voices of Recovery. I try and write what I am grateful for every day. I also write down anything that I am worrying about, resentments or fears and it helps me a lot. At the ned of the day I usually write a bit too. I try and do a written step 10 although I dont write every night I try and write something most nights. Sometimes I just say I am grateful for today or if I am irritated about something I write it down and it helps me to see my part in it. I always write my food down for the next day too. I think I was lucky that at my first meeting I heard someone talk about using her journal every day to talk to God and I thought " I could do that" even though I didnt really understand the 12 steps. It has helped me every day since.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The writing tool, according to my own understanding is pretty specific: it refers to the 30 Questions, and the Fourth Step. I found the 30 questions an amazing tool - I wrote answers to the questions every day, really got a ton of recovery through it, and it set me up nice and clean (emotionally at least) for doing the Fourth Step. . (Yes, I have a copy of the 30 questions, for those who are interested. I will post.) It's good to review them with a sponsor, for turning them over is part of recovery. It lets you let go of the information. You really feel so much lighter when it's done!!!
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'd love the 30 questions.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Options
    Doing a search online, I found a couple of things, but this link is from the OA website:
    http://www.oa.org/pdfs/been slipping and sliding.pdf
  • sheldonbe
    sheldonbe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are amazing. You've given me so much useful information. Thank you for your help, and I'm sure it will benefit not only me, but many others.

Today I am going to start writing!
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Options
    I missed doing my question in my OA Workbook last night -- will do that tonight!! Also need to find my journal ... I leave things all over! ... but memory just "pictured" where it is and I will put it back at bedside to write at night before I start my reading. :flowerforyou:
  • dawnellis0613
    dawnellis0613 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I need t start writing and journalling. I havent started that. I also have the workbook, which I have only done Step 1. Last week i picked up Voices of Recovery. I do like reading that daily. Such and inspiration.

Journaling is the next thing i need to start.