Veggie ideas?

Options
Citrislazer
Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
Okay, I suck at getting veggies into my diet. About the only veggies I like to eat are lettuce, green beans and potatoes. Onions are out of the question. I want to eat more veggies, but I'm having trouble finding recipes I like. Do you have any favorite recipes or ways you "hide" your veggies in meals? Thanks!

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I've put them in meatloaf - just pulse in a food processor and mix in! I like a good variety of veggies though, so ideas other than that, I can't help with much. I eat a ton of them! Feel free to browse my diary.

Chili is another good one - I leave out the beans, but add tons of veggies - peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, etc.
  • Citrislazer
    Options
    Thank you! I like those ideas.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I just had spaghetti sauce (ground beef + sugar-free marinara sauce) over spaghetti squash. The squash doesn't taste like anything, really, so it's not too far from spaghetti noodles. Easy to cook, too (don't ask me, though - there are 40 different ways to do it, as per the Internet). I've also enjoyed it with an alfredo sauce.

Here's a way to sneak in more green beans: http://yourlighterside.com/2012/08/roasted-green-bean-fries-bacon-salt-review/ I don't use canned I use frozen whole beans.

Since it's winter, look for roasted veggie recipes. Root vegetables (beets, carrots, turnips, parsnips) can be pretty sweet if you roast them. Don't forget the oil!

Consider checking out local farmer's markets as soon as they come up and buy something that's local and in season, just to taste. You might find a huge taste difference between the taste of those vegetables and the stuff in the store!
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    The site zippers posted has a recipe for cauliflower breadsticks and pizza crust that is really good. You can also make a mock potato soup out of cauliflower or broccoli cheese soup to get veggies in.

I also toss cabbage (coleslaw mix) with a low carb Newman's dressing I like and sunflower seeds. It's quick and filling.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    chopped up brussels sprouts and bacon. Heaven.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like keeping a bag of frozen spinach in the fridge. It's a great filler for things like meatballs, meat-loafs, casseroles, Italian sauces, cream cheese, broths, etc.

As mentioned above, I also keep a bag of fresh shredded cabbage in my fridge which I often make into a fresh coleslaw (using a small amount of granulated Splenda instead of sugar). I also made a Pho style soup before and put that in it instead of noodles.
  • floridapanthergirl
    floridapanthergirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Also sliced zuccinni as a dipper for spreads of all kinds. Or mini carrots. I add arugala and mustard greens to my salad to give it a zip as well as variation. I make an egg slice for breakfast with colored peppers and sausage. Chicken/broccoli alfredo is heavenly. Fiber is important with low carb so if you don't do many veggies, how do you get your fiber? No need to answer that. Good luck
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dawnomite
    Dawnomite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am really liking some of these idea.,,, Thanks!!
  • Citrislazer
    Options
    Awesome, all great ideas! Keep'em comin' please. :-)

@FloridaPanthe - A little of my fiber does come from the veggies that I do eat, but it obviously isn't as much as it should be. So, I include products in my diet that contain flax, tvp, high fiber, etc. I do a good job most days being at or close to my fiber goal, 25g.
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of veggie ideas I have found online:

http://pinterest.com/siblita/lchf-veggies/
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Chili is another good one - I leave out the beans, but add tons of veggies - peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, etc.
    [/quote]

I do this , I leave out the beans & usually throw in a pepper of each color (red,green,yellow & sometimes orange if i have it) tons of fresh mushrooms, onions, you name it!

I make a lot of stuff with cauliflower, pizza crust, fake mashed potatoes, fake rice, its very versitile.

But my favorite way to add veggies is to make zucchini noodles instead of pasta. you just use a veggie peeler to shave 'noodles' off zucchini & pour hot pasta sauce of your choice over them, you don't even have to cook them if you don't like. they are amazing!! Or I slice them a bit thicker and use them as lasagna noodles!!

Oh and the site ZIpper mentioned - Yourlighterside.com is awesome! I subscribe to it. :)
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash as a 'base' for tomato meat sauce. I hide a few veggies in the sauce sometimes. To cook the squash I cut in half, remove seeds, place upside down in shallow baking dish, add an inch of water (give or take) and microwave for 12-15 minutes. I you can easily insert knife thru the shell it is done. Shred with fork. I have also layered the spaghetti squash for lasanga as well.

I shred lettuce, peppers, cucumbers finely and use as a base for seasoned taco meat, cheese, avocado and sour cream/salsa ...

Another good salad is canned chicken flakes mixed with bacon, lettuce, diced veggies and a salad dressing made of full fat ranch with some shakes of hot sauce. So yummy. I have to watch my portion though as i sometimes eat so much veg that i kick myself out of ketosis.

My family loves green beans. I cook them in a pan with some oil or in chicken broth and garlic. When almost done i drain the broth and toss in some butter and chopped almonds. Or i add in butter to coat/heat and then once off the heat i crumble feta on top!

Make sweet potatoe fries! I have to do a solid workout after to burn up the carbs but they are tasty. cut up sweet potato thinly, coat in olive oil in a ziploc. Put on parchment paper and cook til crispy in oven.

Cauliflower is very versatile.
    There are some great cheesy broccoli recipes out there.

I love 'helluva dip' and will cut up half a cucumber, pepper slices, raw beans, celery or broccoli florets and dip in the french onion deliciousness!

cheese sauces makes any steamed veggie tolerable. I break up cream cheese in sauce pan and just cover with cream. Stir constantly with whisk til it liquifies, add garlic or seasonings (I like 3 onion epicure seasoning) and then dump in shredded cheese or parmesan cheese :)