Muay Thai Vs Kyokushin Karate

Options
TyFit08
TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
I am really interested in martial arts for its physical and mental benefits. I do have about 50lbs to lose and have struggled with staying committed to the gym. I think the community aspect of martial arts and the discipline will be helpful, plus it can be something that I can be committed to on the long term. Now with that being said, choosing an art has been very difficult.

I really want to learn Karate. I have narrowed it down to Kyokushin and I have noticed that many Kyokushin dojo's also teach kickboxing, so best of both worlds. In my area I can take both for 105 a month or just kyokushin for 70 a month. I can also do drop-in kickboxing classes for 10 dollars.

There is also a Muay Thai gym a few blocks from my house. It is 110 a month or 169 for 10 classes. Clearly Karate would be cheaper, but I do plan to move later this year. I'm not sure where, depends on the job search. Not sure if it is wise to commit to Karate, especially a specific style when I will be in a new area that may not offer that style in a few months. Plus weight loss is a big priority and I know Muay Thai would be great for that.

So the question is, would you start Karate even if you know you may have to give up that style in a few months, or focus on what will be the most effective for weight loss?

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Given that your goal is weight loss I would go for the Muay Thai. How ever Kyokushin is a great art. If you have the time and money why not do both? $169 for 10 classes is a bit steep though. I pay $95/month for unlimited training at my Muay Thai school. So if price is an obstacle then Kyokushin would be a better bet; and you could drop in on the kickboxing class every now and then.

I wouldn't worry too much about moving soon. I know a guy who is a pilot. Travels all around the world and trains where ever he goes, even if it's only for a few days. I don't think he has a belt in any one system, but he has a wealth of knowledge....
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think I am going to Karate. It is cheaper and what I want to do anyway. I guess when I move I will start from scratch if i have to. It is not like I will lose what I already learn.