New with some questions

Options
Hello! Today is my official first day on LCHF/Keto, although I *technically* started after lunch yesterday. I had a PB&J sandwich and then just decided to commit to it. I'm a carb addict, although that (hopefully) won't be the case soon. I have about 145 pounds to drop, although I'd be happy with about 130 gone.

I've been reading up on LCHF since two days ago. It's something I've of course heard of in the past, but I've not *really* looked into it until recently. It's very interesting. I'm also in the process of reading Wheat Belly. I'm working on getting my husband and kids on board, but I think it needs to be a more gradual change for them.

Now some quick questions:
*I'm a bit shaky today even though I just had 3 eggs with cheese. Is this normal? Is it just my body adjusting to going without carbs/sugar?
*I've been peeing....a lot. Is this pretty typical? I've only slightly increased my water intake, although this is something I plan to greatly increase.
*I'm not really craving sugar...yet, but is it something I should expect?
*I'm not exercising yet. Is this something I should implement after a while of eating this way?
*I'm still ravenous. Is this something I should expect to go away in time, or will this always be the case?
*Are LCHF and Primal/Paleo the same thing?
*This isn't really a question, but I'd be interested in following recipe sites or anybody on Pinterest with recipes for LCHF.
*And finally, how realistic is this way of eating for a lifetime change?

Thank you for any input. I greatly appreciate it and look forward to getting to meet everyone.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Here are some good information sources. read the first two, and then see what questions you still have.

If you want to know a little bit on keto - Keto in a nutshell
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/edit

If you think you might want to try - read this FAQ
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Guide to acceptable foods
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah8MbmZepQxWdGo4bnB2QmxxMUlmTzZUTXYzMURRLWc#gid=0 ]

These alone can get you started.

Need to persuade the family that this isn't suicide by bacon and butter?
    Watch the movie “Fathead” (Amazon Prime has it)

Advanced Keto Reading: Read Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat"
    More Advanced Reading: Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories" (more focused on the science in this one)
    More serious yet: "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" and “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance”
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Here are some quick answers:
    Q: *I'm a bit shaky today even though I just had 3 eggs with cheese. Is this normal? Is it just my body adjusting to going without carbs/sugar?

A: Shaky is normal the first couple of days. Your body is experiencing carb withdrawal. It's a lot like a drug withdrawal. Your blood sugar is probably tanking and will do that on and off for the first couple of days. Eat whenever you feel a bit hungry or shaky. Don't worry about how much or calories this first week.

Q: *I've been peeing....a lot. Is this pretty typical? I've only slightly increased my water intake, although this is something I plan to greatly increase.

A: Again, normal. Low carb diets will cause your body to dump excess water. Also, as your body withdraws from carbs it goes to your muscles for glycogen. As your muscles release stored glycogen they release stored fluid.

Q: *I'm not really craving sugar...yet, but is it something I should expect?

A: Yes. Expect cravings. They can be sneaky. First you will crave outright sweets. Then you will crave starches and breads. You might find that you just absolutely have to have pizza. Then it will want other natural sugar foods. Watch out for unconsciously putting carb laden food in your mouth.

Q: *I'm not exercising yet. Is this something I should implement after a while of eating this way?

A: Eventually, yes. But not until you are well into fat-burning mode.

Q: *I'm still ravenous. Is this something I should expect to go away in time, or will this always be the case?

A: After a few days, and after the carb cravings stop, you won't be hungry all the time. Until then, eat and eat. Don't let yourself be hungry. If that takes 12 oz of steak and a couple sides of bacon, go for it.

Q: *Are LCHF and Primal/Paleo the same thing?

A: No. Primal/Paleo is not necessarily low carb or keto. However, you can be keto and Primal/Paleo. I recommend it.

Q: *And finally, how realistic is this way of eating for a lifetime change?

A: It's very realistic if done wisely. I've been in keto (with a paleo bent) for almost a year. I will continue to do so to control diabetes. I just have to keep a good variety of foods, flavors and recipes as part of my every day life.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options

I thought I'd tackle this question. I am "Primal" if I must be labeled, although I also call myself a low carb'er when necessary to convey what my nutrition approach is.

The really easy answer to your question is .... Yes.

The longer answer is that our caveman ancestors ate this way their entire life. And, actually, our modern ancestors ate mostly like this until about 100 years ago. Until the advent of industrialized food, which occurred roughly about 1900 AD, carb and sugar based foods were very expensive. People didn't go to the market in 1850 and buy a box of Corn Flakes, for example. They made their food from scratch and their diet was much more centered around animal protein and fats, vegetables, nuts and fruits. And only when they were in season, for that matter. Wheat and corn and refined sugars were quite expensive and had to be transported, processed, packaged, etc.

Prior to 1900, the average American only consumed 5 lbs of sugar per year. Today, the average American consumes 150 lbs of sugar per year. That is a combined total of sucrose and fructose. This came about because of industrialized food, first and foremost. Then it was reinforced and made far worse by the "low/no fat" craze of the past 3 decades. Food without fat in it tastes bland and boring. So, the food manufacturers fixed that by adding sugar of one sort or another. Now it tastes better and it's much higher in carbs/sugars.

For 2 million years, our ancestors ate meat, fat, vegetables, fruits and nuts and very low to no quantities of grains and sugars. They really only got sugar when fruit was ripe, or from honey. As a general rule. And obesity was very low. Except among the wealthy who could get as much carbs and sugars as they desired.

If we could do it for 2 million years, I would suggest we can do it for a lifetime today, too. :-)
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options
    Thank you for the links and answers.

As the day wears on, I find that I'm starting to not feel well. I understand this is normal, a withdrawal symptom, but it still sucks. The headache is just now kicking in and I look forward to it leaving.

I also find that I'm insanely thirsty today. It's ultimately good and will force me into drinking water, but it's still a little disturbing because I'm not used to it.

I have not had a single grain since yesterday's lunch. I have not had any sugar since then, either. It's only been 26ish hours, but it's still something. Everyone starts somewhere. Baby steps.

The good news is that I *was* on Weight Watchers, and even though I found it limiting and discouraging, it made me aware of what I was putting in my mouth. I've also been soda-free for quite some time now. I have had a soda while eating out or such, but that's pretty rare. I lived through those cravings, so I can do this. It's just a bit of mind over matter.

6 years ago, I had complete kidney failure (not related to diabetes). 2 years of dialysis later, I received a kidney transplant. Things are going well and I have my doctor's blessing to do this. It will be a little more challenging for me than for others because of the medications I'm on, but the reward will be that much sweeter. And I have lived through *much* worse than a headache, fatigue, and sugar cravings.
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you get enough sodium. Some of the symptoms of the first few days are related to low sodium levels as the body gets rid of water and sodium.
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options
    Can you critique my food diary today? The code is 5678. Thank you. :)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options

A++++++
    SUPERSTAR!!!!
    73% on day one!
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options

A++++++
    SUPERSTAR!!!!
    73% on day one!

Thank you so much!
    When I sat down to dinner tonight, I was starving. We had bacon wrapped chicken breasts with spiced mayo and butter fried green beans. I only had *some* green beans. I thought they were lower in carbs than they are, so I limited myself to half a cup. I'm thankful I researched that before scarfing down on them. Anyways, I cut each chicken breast in thirds and wrapped them in bacon before cooking. When we sat down to eat, I thought I'd eat a lot more than I did. I had 3 pieces of chicken and spiced mayo to dip it in. I was surprisingly full.

I still have a headache, although it's not the worst I've ever experienced by far. I'm tired, but not exhausted. My thoughts are slightly foggy. I'm drinking and peeing a lot, and I'm not as shaky now. I really think I've entered "detox" mode. I haven't had any sugars or known carbs since lunch yesterday.
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options
    Also, one more thing I just noticed.

I have extremely oily skin. It's been a lifelong problem.

Tonight I washed my face as usual, but I noticed far less shine on my face. I felt my skin, and while it is oily, it's not a fraction as oily as it usually is. Has anybody else had this happen?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Keto and lots of water is really good for your skin.

Another cause of "keto flu" is the dying off of gut yeast as you starve it of sugar. That's a good thing.
  • Asphere79
    Asphere79 Posts: 41
    Options

I thought I'd tackle this question. I am "Primal" if I must be labeled, although I also call myself a low carb'er when necessary to convey what my nutrition approach is.

The really easy answer to your question is .... Yes.

The longer answer is that our caveman ancestors ate this way their entire life. And, actually, our modern ancestors ate mostly like this until about 100 years ago. Until the advent of industrialized food, which occurred roughly about 1900 AD, carb and sugar based foods were very expensive. People didn't go to the market in 1850 and buy a box of Corn Flakes, for example. They made their food from scratch and their diet was much more centered around animal protein and fats, vegetables, nuts and fruits. And only when they were in season, for that matter. Wheat and corn and refined sugars were quite expensive and had to be transported, processed, packaged, etc.

Prior to 1900, the average American only consumed 5 lbs of sugar per year. Today, the average American consumes 150 lbs of sugar per year. That is a combined total of sucrose and fructose. This came about because of industrialized food, first and foremost. Then it was reinforced and made far worse by the "low/no fat" craze of the past 3 decades. Food without fat in it tastes bland and boring. So, the food manufacturers fixed that by adding sugar of one sort or another. Now it tastes better and it's much higher in carbs/sugars.

For 2 million years, our ancestors ate meat, fat, vegetables, fruits and nuts and very low to no quantities of grains and sugars. They really only got sugar when fruit was ripe, or from honey. As a general rule. And obesity was very low. Except among the wealthy who could get as much carbs and sugars as they desired.

If we could do it for 2 million years, I would suggest we can do it for a lifetime today, too. :-)

Not to mention wild fruit is way lower in sugar than say today's oranges which have been artificially selected to be sweeter and sweeter via agriculture for the last few thousand years.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Here are some quick answers:
    Q: *I'm a bit shaky today even though I just had 3 eggs with cheese. Is this normal? Is it just my body adjusting to going without carbs/sugar?

A: Shaky is normal the first couple of days. Your body is experiencing carb withdrawal. It's a lot like a drug withdrawal. Your blood sugar is probably tanking and will do that on and off for the first couple of days. Eat whenever you feel a bit hungry or shaky. Don't worry about how much or calories this first week.

Q: *I've been peeing....a lot. Is this pretty typical? I've only slightly increased my water intake, although this is something I plan to greatly increase.

A: Again, normal. Low carb diets will cause your body to dump excess water. Also, as your body withdraws from carbs it goes to your muscles for glycogen. As your muscles release stored glycogen they release stored fluid.

Q: *I'm not really craving sugar...yet, but is it something I should expect?

A: Yes. Expect cravings. They can be sneaky. First you will crave outright sweets. Then you will crave starches and breads. You might find that you just absolutely have to have pizza. Then it will want other natural sugar foods. Watch out for unconsciously putting carb laden food in your mouth.

Q: *I'm not exercising yet. Is this something I should implement after a while of eating this way?

A: Eventually, yes. But not until you are well into fat-burning mode.

Q: *I'm still ravenous. Is this something I should expect to go away in time, or will this always be the case?

A: After a few days, and after the carb cravings stop, you won't be hungry all the time. Until then, eat and eat. Don't let yourself be hungry. If that takes 12 oz of steak and a couple sides of bacon, go for it.

Q: *Are LCHF and Primal/Paleo the same thing?

A: No. Primal/Paleo is not necessarily low carb or keto. However, you can be keto and Primal/Paleo. I recommend it.

A: It's very realistic if done wisely. I've been in keto (with a paleo bent) for almost a year. I will continue to do so to control diabetes. I just have to keep a good variety of foods, flavors and recipes as part of my every day life.

THIS, THIS, THIS!!!

Yup, being primal/paleo and ketogenic go amazing together! Cuz low carb is so much better when it's all natural foods instead of artificial sweeteners, soy, etc.

I've been primal (going increasingly paleo) and keto for almost 8 months. I did it to save my life, and it did. I'm with this lifestyle forever, absolutely. I will increase my carbs from healthy sources someday, but it won't be much of an increase. I just like feeling healthy too much to go back to sick and dying.

Edit: most people eating this way do report improvements in skin, and usually a long list of other "common" ailments. Just because almost everyone is suffering so much these days (diabetes, heart disease, cancer, depression, indigestion, obesity, autoimmune disorders, etc, etc) does not mean that's the normal human condition.
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    Not to mention wild fruit is way lower in sugar than say today's oranges which have been artificially selected to be sweeter and sweeter via agriculture for the last few thousand years.

That's an excellent point I hadn't thought about before. Thanks for bringing it up.