Keto vs Atkins

Options
366to266
366to266 Posts: 473 Member
Seems to me that keto is really just Atkins induction but without the sometimes incomprehensible rules. Am I right?

I have been a member of the Atkins forum on and off for a number of years but I never go on there now as I find it full of "Atkinazis" who do nothing but criticise me over the silliest things. That is one of the reasons why I now call it keto and prefer to lurk on keto type forums. Here are some of the things I have been told off about on the Atkins board:

1. Planning to use groundnut oil to make mayonnaise. I was told that "nut oils are NOT allowed on induction because nuts are not allowed".

2. Failing to move up the rungs after the first two weeks of induction.

3. Buying a pre-made salad that contained a few tiny strips of carrot - "Carrot is NOT allowed on induction!!!"

4. Drinking tea with skimmed milk. "Skimmed milk is not allowed on induction!!!"

Also, the insistence on drinking vast amounts of water. I've been told to drink ridiculous amounts by people on the A board. I'd literally be in the toilet every half an hour, which is impossible when you are out and about, travelling, in meetings, etc.

It seems to me that on paleo/keto etc these rules about nuts, nut oils, milk, carrot etc do not apply. So long as our carbs are low enough to induce ketosis. Also, nobody is going to berate me if I stay on under 20 carbs for years Am I right about that?

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It was the Atkins diet that was the start of my realization that "healthy" foods were not necessarily healthy for me. I think Dr. Atkins was a great man. However, the company has gone totally down hill since his death. I've actually shared my concerns with them, but I suspect that they are making far too much money from their processed "food" sales than to listen to the likes of me.

I find myself unable to be supportive of the low carb people who are only focused on weight loss, rather than health, and who are extreme about the "rules", but yet see no issue with artificial sweeteners. I've been in constant ketosis for months and keep my carbs around 20 grams, even while eating carrots and nuts!

My lifestyle focuses on real food, that is also very low in carbohydrates. I do it totally for my health. I eat whatever my body asks for that is nutritious and doesn't cause any negative symptoms (I have to limit nightshades).
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks! For the second time today I am reading the words of like minded people! I agree totally with both of you and am trying to eliminate as much processed food as poss from my diet and keep fat high and am feeling so good doing so. I agree Dr Robert and the Atkins big business of today are two very different beasts sadly. Keto rocks!!