Working towards first 5k Event

Options
forestplay
forestplay Posts: 63 Member
I just discovered this group.

I'm working week 6 of the C25K and looking forward to my first 5k event on March 30, the Marin County Half Marathon, 10k & 5k. I'll be running the 5k, of course.

So far so good with the program. The challenge it keeping it going during the occasional wet days. I've been able to take it inside and run on a treadmill but I don't think I keep the same pace, both for running and for walking. It's seems to be trial and error each time. I much prefer running outside.

I have two routes that I've been using for training. One if near my work and gym. I can run at lunch and shower at the gym before returning to work. I feel pretty lucky. The second route is part neighborhood and part trail near by home. Most of the trail is rolling hills with occasional step sections. Running downhill is actually much harder than going up because there a risk of a crash.

Any tips for a first time runner who is past 50?

-Bob

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was reading the other day that the marathoners who have the best times as Masters are the ones that started in their mid-life, NOT the ones who started training in their teens. So, enjoy your potential!