Anyone doing pistol squats in stages 3 and 5?

Options
One of my strength goals is to be able to do a pistol squat all the way down, and so I've been working toward that goal, instead of doing a partial single-legged squat with weight added. But it is proving difficult for me. I only have one B workout left in stage 5, and I can still only do the 4 squats by holding on to a rope looped around a vertical support. I can go down about 3/4 of the way unassisted, but that's it. Anyone have advice?

Replies

• CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a pistol squat is - I'm assuming it's an "*kitten* to the grass" squat...LOL. I have been substituting the single leg squats for just general barbell back squats. I am NOT flexible and it would be very hard for me to get my butt to the ground!
  • FootsoreRambler
    FootsoreRambler Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    http://www.beastskills.com/one-legged-squat-the-pistol/

It's a one-legged squat where you go all the way down, touching your thigh to your calf. It's tricky because you have to get the balance right as well as the strength. The variation I'm doing is kind of like the one where he's holding on to the doorway, except I've been using a short rope looped around one of the side supports of the assisted pullup machine.

I just did my last stage 5 workout, and I could get all the way down and up pretty well for my first rep of these just holding the rope and not using it for assist. But I still couldn't do 4 unassisted. Still, I can feel them becoming easier, so that's progress! One day I will be pistol-squatting like a boss!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing them from a box- the non working leg will be off to the side of the box and as you get better try to keep that non-working leg higher and higher.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Ah, the one legged squat...yes, I've tried these and yes, I suck at them....I do them on a box. I just have terrible balance and flexibility so I feel like I don't get as good of a squat as I can!
  • FootsoreRambler
    FootsoreRambler Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'll give them a try on a box some time, but I do seem to be improving by using the rope assist. I'm headed to stage 6 for now, though, so I probably won't get back to them until I'm totally done with NROL4W.

I have a coworker who can pistol squat, and I'm totally jealous of him. He's one of those crossfit weirdos ;)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,008 Member
    Options
    I did these when I tried TRX at the end of last month....LOVED them (using the TRX bands for support).

I think it's totally great that you can do some/any UNSUPPORTED! You go girl!!

I'm not sure when/if I'll ever get there, but, in the meantime, I really like doing them supported - can TOTALLY feel my glute firing - YAHOO!