What happens to unused ingested fat?

Options
Fat2FitChick
Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
I know carbs turn to sugar, protein turns to glycogen, so what about left over fat that is eaten but the body doesn't get around to using it for fuel? Does it just get flushed out or does it get stored or converted to something else like the others?

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    bump

Interested in the feedback on this as well.. I wondered sometime when i eat high fats and then take a no exercise day does it go back into my fat cells.. where does it go.. great ??
  • Fat2FitChick
    Options
    Anyone know the answer to this?
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would believe that it is stored as fat.

However, if you are at a calorie defecit, you wouldnt store any of this.. Also during ketosis your body isnt as efficient at burning fat as it as at say burning carbs, so you will burn more fat for the same output of energy than you would carbs.

Hope this helps
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    In the absence of insulin it cannot possibly be stored.

I guess it must be excreted,
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Not all ingested fat can be digested. I believe only about 10% of fat is digestible. Much of it is passed through the bowel faster than it can be absorbed and converted into energy or fat stores. Drink a glass of olive oil and see how fast it passes... maybe not. &:)
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Fat can only be stored, as someone else noted, in the presence of insulin. The lower your blood sugar, the lower your insulin, the less fat can be stored in your fat cells. If you are in a state of nutritional ketosis, then the fatty acids that CANNOT be used by your body are carried to your kidneys by your blood and washed out of your body as waste in your pee. This is why a low carb, high fat diet causes you to go pee so much. It's also why you need to drink at least 8 cups of water a day, in order to provide your kidneys with plenty of water for the process.

When you test your urine for ketones you are looking for the excess fatty acids that show that your body is burning fat for energy.

The excess fat that you eat does not get converted to glucose or stored as fat. It is eliminated from your body.

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/9928/1/Burns-Up-275-More-Calories-Daily.html
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Fat can only be stored, as someone else noted, in the presence of insulin. The lower your blood sugar, the lower your insulin, the less fat can be stored in your fat cells. If you are in a state of nutritional ketosis, then the fatty acids that CANNOT be used by your body are carried to your kidneys by your blood and washed out of your body as waste in your pee. This is why a low carb, high fat diet causes you to go pee so much. It's also why you need to drink at least 8 cups of water a day, in order to provide your kidneys with plenty of water for the process.

When you test your urine for ketones you are looking for the excess fatty acids that show that your body is burning fat for energy.

The excess fat that you eat does not get converted to glucose or stored as fat. It is eliminated from your body.

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/9928/1/Burns-Up-275-More-Calories-Daily.html

I was curious about this myself. What a very informative and easy to understand post!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Options
    Wow thank you, that explained it perfectly!