Another question on fat...

Options
doneatfour
doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
So I get that fat is good and is particularly important on a low carb diet. Bear with me...So, we are in ketosis when our bodies burn fat for fuel. Test on a little stick. It turns pink...yeah me. But, that doesn't necessarily mean we are burning body fat, does it? Wouldn't we still be in ketosis (as indicated by a change of color on the test strip) even if our bodies are burning dietary fat exclusively? So, my question is...How much dietary fat is too much if the goal is to burn body fat? Is it never possible to eat more fat than our bodies need? I mean I get that the fat gets converted to ketones and we flush out the excess. But that could be excess dietary fat, no? And if there is an excess of dietary fat, our bodies wouldn't need to dig into our body fat stores...

Just wondering. :wink:

Replies

• BlessedWith3
    Options
    Great question! From what I have read, true ketosis can only be measured through the blood. There are at home kits, expensive.

Regarding the urinalysis strips...I have read several different arguments.1. they do show measure burning of dietary fat. 2. They only measure burning of body fat because dietary fat is excreted in bowels 3. Only MCF (i.e. coconut oil) fats register on ketostix

Sorry I didn't give you a definite response. Hopefully someone else knows the definitive answer.
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Great question! From what I have read, true ketosis can only be measured through the blood. There are at home kits, expensive.

Regarding the urinalysis strips...I have read several different arguments.1. they do show measure burning of dietary fat. 2. They only measure burning of body fat because dietary fat is excreted in bowels 3. Only MCF (i.e. coconut oil) fats register on ketostix

Sorry I didn't give you a definite response. Hopefully someone else knows the definitive answer.

Our bodies are wonderful machines. Our dietary fat intake is used to force your body to burn body fat through chemistry in the bile ducts and liver (converting it to ketones for energy). Once our body fat is depleted it then uses dietary fat which is now converted to ketones for energy usage. It is all about good chemistry! Trust that it is working and just enjoy the ride!
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Our bodies are wonderful machines. Our dietary fat intake is used to force your body to burn body fat through chemistry in the bile ducts and liver (converting it to ketones for energy). Once our body fat is depleted it then uses dietary fat which is now converted to ketones for energy usage. It is all about good chemistry! Trust that it is working and just enjoy the ride!

So, we use body fat first before dietary fat? Yeah! Thanks for the info both of you!