substitute for prone jacknife and swiss ball crunch?

Options
MsJackieO318
MsJackieO318 Posts: 22 Member
Hi!

I am starting the program tomorrow but I noticed a couple possible issues. My gym does not have stability/swiss balls. Does anyone know what exercises I could sub out for those? Perhaps regular crunches instead of the swiss ball crunches? Another option I have is to do those two exercises at home as I do have a stability ball there, but I don't know if that would be effective since you are supposed to do the exercises in order. I think to go forward with this program I may need to switch to a real gym instead of Planet Fatness, haha..

Also are doing squats in a smith machine a bad idea and can I do deadlifts with heavy dumbells instead of an olymipic bar or would be poor form? I spoke with a girl that works there and apparently deadlifts with the bar will trigger their "lunk alert" Ridiculous.

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    As far as subs for the ab stuff, I'd probably substitute planks for prone jackknife. Not sure about the crunches. Maybe more planks.

Squats in the smith machine are a very bad idea. The smith machine doesn't allow your body's natural movement and engage your core like regular back squats.

I've heard deadlifts can be done with dumbbells, but I've not tried it myself. What is a "lunk alert?"
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Not 100% familiar with NROLFW but in response to your question, you could do the crunchies on a bench? Lying on your back and either holding on above your head or underneath as you will need to engage your core to stabilise.

Agree with the Smith machine statement - not a good idea. I would and do substitute heavy dumbells as usually there's no spotter at my gym to help me with a heavy barbell.

Can you ask the gym to supply swiss balls? They are now a staple in many programmes.

And yeah - what's a lunk alert?
  • MsJackieO318
    MsJackieO318 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, good ideas, I think I'll try planks and some crunches on a bench. I go to planet fitness and when you drop the barbells or grunt or do anything noisy they ring this bell called the lunk alert. Its kinda ridiculous, I mean some people throw down the dumbells and thats not cool, but I guess they think if I'm gonna do dead lifts that means I'm automatically gonna slam the weights on the ground. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I always hear people talking crap about Planet Fitness, but that's just crazy, ridiculous. Is find a new gym. I also think if you kind of save up the ab workout part of the workout for home, it'd be ok, till you can find a real gym that is, lol.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    The "lunk alert" made me LOL!
    Anyway, I would just run to WM and buy a $10 stability ball and bring it with me to the gym. Planks will probably work too, but I love the PJKs!
    DBs are definitely better than using a Smith Machine, from what I've read.
    Good luck!!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I could have written this post myself!!! I too am a planet fitness member with a stability ball at home doing squats and dead lifts in a smith machine.

I figure using the Smith machine is better than not doing them at all or paying 5 to 6 times more a month to go to gym with a REAL set of free weights. I'm a beginner, so I figure I'll make progress anyway.

As for the stability ball exercises I've been doing regular sit-ups while holding weight plates against my chest and plank twists as substitutes. I don't know why I don't just use my ball at home. I guess once I'm home I just want to be done. (I walk to and from the gym).

I've also started substituting more lunges in place of the step up as it kills my arms to have to carry dumbbells clear across the gym to use the step in the circuit training room. Just the walk there is like a whole other exercise. There are no steps in the weight area. UGH.