Olympic Dumbbell for NROL4W at home?

Options
cphaneuf16
cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
I've had to do the Stage 1 workouts at home, and found that my 10-pound weights are too light to use in substitute exercises (no barbell, row, lat pulldown). We don't have room for a barbell right now, so I wanted to get something that would allow me to do as much of the workout as possible with little equipment.

I bit the bullet and bought Olympic dumbbells today with 70 lbs worth of rubber coated plates. My husband wants to start lifting (yay!) and we both felt it was better to get something flexible rather than fixed dumbbells. But now I'm worried about the 20" length, especially when I need to lift over my head.

Those of you who did most of the workout at home, do you think the Olympic size dumbbell would be a problem? If you used regular dumbbells, which sizes did you use? Thanks for any help or advice! .

Replies

• cphaneuf16
    Options
    Serious buyer's remorse here! I keep reading reviews that say you don't want to use these for anything over your head, or anything where you hold them vertically. I think I'm going to return them and get 15s, 20s, and 25s...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Are these the ones that are 2 feet in length and adjustable? If so, can you return them? You would have been better off getting the dumbbell sizes you need in IronMan (I think) or the Hex (I prefer hex because you can do some cool balance work on them) and saving up for an olymipic bar, plates, and adjustable rack. I haven't read any awesome reviews on the 2' oly db's, from what I've read they're pretty ackward to use and not necessarily safe.
  • cphaneuf16
    Options
    Yes, the crazy long ones. I did return them this morning, also because the rubber plates smelled awful! I got plain hex dumbbells instead. Next thing will be an oly bar with iron plates. Even my husband is on board now! Thanks for the advice!