baxgilter
baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
http://youtu.be/xW9_sW_3ECg

Please and thank you

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I would say try shoving your knees out more.. they should follow the direction your feet are pointing. You may even want to experiment with pointing your toes a bit more outward (30 degrees is the starting point, but based on personal anatomy each of us may have a slightly bigger or smaller angle). Depth looks good, but generally easier to see from the side view (as much as I appreciate the rear view :bigsmile: ).

Hard to tell for sure, but you seem to be in high bar position, which is fine. But give the low bar a try as well, if you haven't already, before deciding which one to stick with http://stronglifts.com/squat-bar-position/
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Taso has great advice. Only thing I will add, and it's REALLY hard to tell from the camera angle (try taking video from the side in the future) but it looks like your shoulders are hunching forward at the bottom. It looks like your elbows are swinging forward as a result - almost like you're pulling down on the bar with your hands and it's causing your shoulders to fall forward. Again, hard to tell from the angle.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I just came here to watch your bum and say I love these 2 guys :p
  • baxgilter
    Options
    I don't have any gym buddies and had a calf raise machine to strap my arm band too. Ill see if there is something I can use to the side tomorrow.

Keep it coming though!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hard to say much from that angle but yeah, push your knees out. This should open up the hips more and allow you to get deeper.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I agree with the knee's out reccommendation.

It looks like your shoulders/elbows are coming way forward when you go down, which is causing you to essentially good morning the weight up. Move your hand position around until you find one that allows you to keep your upper back tight, chest high, and elbows under the bar.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Nothing too bad there as the weight seems really light. but on some reps, I see your butt moving up first. That's a no no. You'll end up with a good morining as stated. You seem to be using a high bar position that I generally don't like
  • baxgilter
    Options
    http://youtu.be/NcibuVpv2d0

Updated side shot
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Your form started out kinda wonky but you got better as you went. Your first 3 reps your shoulders were falling forward at the bottom of the movement but it was gradually getting better (1st was the worst by far). Your 4th and 5th rep looked pretty great. Solid core, back is flat, no longer collapsing under the weight. Try to duplicate those last two reps. It looked like maybe you were rushing the first few and that's why you were sort of collapsing forward?

The other improvement I'd mention is depth. You're not going low enough in my opinion. You want your femurs to be parallel the ground or lower. It looks like you're a few inches off. Drop those safety bars down a notch (or two) and try getting a little lower - you might have to deload the weight a bit. I've been working on this one myself with some box squats.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bax - agree with above that you could go a bit deeper. i feel like you were subconsciously trying to avoid hitting the safeties. drop them down a notch or two.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just mainly echoing what the others have said.

- drop the safety bars down so you can drop a tad lower
    - keep your chest out a bit more - it should stop that good morning type movement you have going on
    - make sure you engage your core/lats (not sure if you are from the video)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Nothing too bad there as the weight seems really light. but on some reps, I see your butt moving up first. That's a no no. You'll end up with a good morining as stated. You seem to be using a high bar position that I generally don't like

Really light compared to what?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Compared to what I think might be considered "heavy" to her
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Compared to what I think might be considered "heavy" to her

Hard to tell without knowing her 1RM and working 5 rep max.

ETA: after watching the more recent one compared to the first one...the second one is a better representation of form as it is heavier. Plus a better angle.
  • baxgilter
    Options
    135lb is the most recent video which was a 5x5, that is my bw, it felt pretty freaking heavy!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking as part of our new procedure to try to help track open threads: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/914180-thread-locking-and-intake-follow-ups

Feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel to unlock if you want to add anything.
This discussion has been closed.