Should I do the reset?

Options
VeinsAndBones
VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
Hi I'm 18 male 5ft 10.5in@131.5lbs with approx. 14% bf, I've been eating pretty low (1,300-1,600) cals a day... I'm sedentary mind you except for when I go out then I typically eat a little more those days. Do I need to do the reset? I've somehow gained 1lb over the course of a week eating about 1,550 calories a day. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• VeinsAndBones
    Options
    Bump?
  • MicaelaFW
    MicaelaFW Posts: 63
    Options
    What's your goal? To gain or lose? It seems to me (definitely not an expert) that you eat very little, for a healthy?, 18 year old!!
  • VeinsAndBones
    Options
    I'm looking to more or less maintain, I'm getting into cycling soon so ill be dropping fat I believe from that but for now just maintenance sounds good to me
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just for kicks & giggles, I put your stats into Scooby's calculator (which a lot of us refer to for calorie info). Used the Katch-McArdle formula, assuming your body fat percentage is accurate. Assuming you do at least an hour a week of exercise (because hey--who is REALLY sedentary, like you do NOTHING all day), your calorie needs would be 2028 to maintain your weight (BMR is 1475).

How often will you be cycling each week? If you exercise 3-5 hours a week, your calorie needs would be 2286. To maintain.

If you continue to eat 1300-1600 you're going to drop more than just fat. I would suggest eating more, for sure, to make certain that you maintain some muscle mass. If your goal is maintenance, it wouldn't really be a reset, per se. But your body will thank you.

Here is the calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 18 male 5ft 10.5in@131.5lbs with approx. 14% bf, I've been eating pretty low (1,300-1,600) cals a day... I'm sedentary mind you except for when I go out then I typically eat a little more those days. Do I need to do the reset? I've somehow gained 1lb over the course of a week eating about 1,550 calories a day. Thanks!!!!

Wow, same height, when I was later 20's, my race weight was 155, and that was 5% bodyfat measured via BIA and calipers.
    Was eating Zone diet for endurance energy between 1800-2000, depending on workout time and intensity.
    That maintained, probably also because of slowing metabolism down I know guess.

While I understand cycling race weight means as little upper body muscle as possible, be very careful with calorie level or you'll burn off muscle that is very useful on the bike.

If biking is not for competing but enjoyment and fun exercise, probably benefit from getting more muscle to use on the rides. Your cardio system is going to get tapped out for performance just from lack of muscle to use.