Modifying Marathon training for injury?

Options
bluefox9er
bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
Hi Guys..i am training for my first Marathon , to take place on May 5th. I am using the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan, and have so far made it to the end of week 10 ( please see attached image).

After my long run of 17 miles, I noticed a pain in my gluteus/hip, which presented it's self around mile 13 of the run.

I pushed through and completed my run, but felt pain in that area after.

The pain subsided almost completely after taking a combination of icing, ibuprofen and co-codomol , but came back once the effects of the pain killer wore off.

I am now about to enter week 11 ( 5 miles, 8 miles, 5 miles and 18 mile long 'run') to start tomorrow, but really do not want to make this pain any worse.

I am a novice runner, and am desperate to run my marathon, but now need to modify the training if I am to avoid making this injury even worse, but stand a chance of running on race day. There are 8 weeks before race day.

I ran my long run on saturday ( it is monday today), and spent the entire weekend and most of today resting and icing.

I would really appreciate any feedback as to how best to modify this schedule to accommodate for this injury ( I havn't taken any pain killers and my leg feels better than it did after I finished the long run).

I am hoping that it will take me no more than a week or a little longer to be recovered, but it's really too hard to tell right now.

Here is the training plan, of which week 11 starts tomorrow.

8548374981_0d18a1d486_b.jpg
Hal Higdon Marathon 2 by Dipak49ers, on Flickr

Replies

• nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hope you are feeling better.

I have learn to go to my Chiropractor when ever I have a pain that doesn't feel right. Don't get any cracking done but he does ART - Active Release Therapy - sometimes pain full, but very effective and he gives me some specific exercise. The best thing is finding out if I should curtail my training or not. He got me thru a glut/butt issue my last marathon and thru an arch issue for the 50k I just completed with minimum down time. If I had tried to take care of it on my own, I probably would have taken time off that in these cases I did not need to for my specific pains.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I hope you are feeling better.

I have learn to go to my Chiropractor when ever I have a pain that doesn't feel right. Don't get any cracking done but he does ART - Active Release Therapy - sometimes pain full, but very effective and he gives me some specific exercise. The best thing is finding out if I should curtail my training or not. He got me thru a glut/butt issue my last marathon and thru an arch issue for the 50k I just completed with minimum down time. If I had tried to take care of it on my own, I probably would have taken time off that in these cases I did not need to for my specific pains.

A swear by ART (T is for "Techniques" :wink: ) too. It's gotten me through a few injuries.

http://www.activerelease.com/
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you have to take this whole week off you can pick back up training with week 12 Missing a week of training will not reduce your fitness but will have a minor effect on your marathon if you have a hard time goal. If you have to take more than a week off then you will probably have to modify the plan, depending on how much you miss.