"started" stronglifts today, couple of questions...

Options
EmilyEmpowered
EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
So I attempted to start Stronglifts today, but being the EXTREMELY shy person I am, I was way too intimidated by the weights section. So I spent a lot of time on the outskirts, and then tried to ask a girl for help, however another guy jumped in and... Long story short, he persuaded me to try "machine" versions of the exercises today, which was fine. I did the bench with the bar plus 5 on each side though (I know, lightweight ;) ) and my questions are this:

1) should I continue doing this for a week or so, just to get used to the weights area and because they (machines) make sure I am using correct form?

2) are the machines for doing rows and squats as beneficial as just doing them with the bar? They definitely gave me a workout, and I was able to add 45 to each side on the rows, for 90 total, and 25 to each side for the squats for 50 total. But am I still working my core if it is supported by the machine?

This maybe silly questions, I dont know. I was kind of disspaointed he wouldnt just help me get the bar set up in the squat rack or shoow me which bar to use for rows, but as I said I am really shy so I was just happy that someone helped me at all!! Now on Wednesday I will be going to do workout B, so fingers crossed this guy will be there, and he said he would look into the Stronglifts program so he can help me better (I guess he has never heard much about it, but he seemed to know what he was doing, besides saying that "woman should just tone" lol hey, hes my only ally over there right now!! :)

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    So I attempted to start Stronglifts today, but being the EXTREMELY shy person I am, I was way too intimidated by the weights section. So I spent a lot of time on the outskirts, and then tried to ask a girl for help, however another guy jumped in and... Long story short, he persuaded me to try "machine" versions of the exercises today, which was fine. I did the bench with the bar plus 5 on each side though (I know, lightweight ;) ) and my questions are this:

1) should I continue doing this for a week or so, just to get used to the weights area and because they (machines) make sure I am using correct form?

2) are the machines for doing rows and squats as beneficial as just doing them with the bar? They definitely gave me a workout, and I was able to add 45 to each side on the rows, for 90 total, and 25 to each side for the squats for 50 total. But am I still working my core if it is supported by the machine?

This maybe silly questions, I dont know. I was kind of disspaointed he wouldnt just help me get the bar set up in the squat rack or shoow me which bar to use for rows, but as I said I am really shy so I was just happy that someone helped me at all!! Now on Wednesday I will be going to do workout B, so fingers crossed this guy will be there, and he said he would look into the Stronglifts program so he can help me better (I guess he has never heard much about it, but he seemed to know what he was doing, besides saying that "woman should just tone" lol hey, hes my only ally over there right now!! :)

well --
    1a) to get comfortable back there? Sure if you need that.
    1b) to learn proper form? No. You aren't learning proper form on the machine because you're doing a different exercise

2) not as much no

As far as 'getting the bar up in the squat rack' -- what was the concern there? Are you just terrified of the whole area?

You don't need an ally - you can be your own best friend in the weight room. And also - assume that 50% of people back there have absolutely no idea waht they are doing and they just wandered back to pick up some random stuff and do random exercises with it, another 30% are doing something that they think will be good, or heard about from a friend, or think they learned in HS, and another 15% are following some program they found on bodybuilding.com or muscle and strength magazine and will end up with huge chests and tiny legs. Unless they're women in which case its something they found in shape magazine.

So hoping that someone back there will give you good advice is a kind of crapshoot.

Here's what I did in the beginning - before you go, sit down and watch people do the lifts. Look at how the bar is set up, look where they stand to load it, everything. Watch more than 1 person do the lift. Then when you go to the gym, take a copy of your summary, pictures of the lifts, and links to the youtube videos of the lifts that you can watch on your smart phone if you have one. Sometimes I'd do it and then wonder if I was doing it right and watch the video/look at pictures some more.
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Fantastic advice :-)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I "cut and pasted" tamako2's STRONGLIFT 5X5 SUMMARY into MicroSoft Word, printed it out and highlighted the major stuff. I'm taking this with me tomorrow when I go to my free 30-session with a personal trainer I get with my gym membership. I'm going to tell him "SHOW ME HOW TO DO THIS!"
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options

well --
    As far as 'getting the bar up in the squat rack' -- what was the concern there? Are you just terrified of the whole area?

Here's what I did in the beginning - before you go, sit down and watch people do the lifts. Look at how the bar is set up, look where they stand to load it, everything. Watch more than 1 person do the lift. Then when you go to the gym, take a copy of your summary, pictures of the lifts, and links to the youtube videos of the lifts that you can watch on your smart phone if you have one. Sometimes I'd do it and then wonder if I was doing it right and watch the video/look at pictures some more.

Thanks for all the advice!!

My concern with the squat rack was that there were 4 seperate bars leaning on the wall by the rack, and nothing set up in the rack. I didnt know which bar I was supposed to use :blushing:

I am just *that* timid, I feel so uncomfortable without someone showing me or just THERE for moral support. There are two girls who work at my YMCA that one of them knows Stronglifts, the other does Crossfit, and they were going to help me with form, etc, however they are only there during hours I am at work or have my kiddos. I could just pay the $80 something for their personal trainer session, BUT i DONT want someone telling me to do other exercises, unless it will eventually help me get to lifting heavy.

Now I am nervous all over again for Wednesday, dangit! I can for sure check the exercises before going in there on youtube, etc, I already have some what but it was a good idea to watch how they set up for each lift, hopefully that will help me get started!

Thanks again!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Aww I'm sorry. If I lived close by I'd go with you and show you and lift with you.

It's okay, just remember everyone's been a noobie lifter once, and everyone is insecure in some way, so don't let that stop you.

The instructional videos such as Rippetoe on squats and etc. will take you a long way. Heck, if you have to search Youtube to find a video on what a squat rack looks like and how to put a bar on it, then do it. If you need to have every last bit of equipment and how to use it, explained to you, who cares? Find instructions that will meet you where you are, and start there. That's how you gain true knowledge and steer clear of assumption. There's never any shame in not knowing something and asking questions and getting educated. We can't expect to know something we've never actually done. Maybe let yourself off the hook a little, hmm?
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options

Maybe let yourself off the hook a little, hmm?

Thanks, I needed that! All the advice was good, but that line summed it up quite nicely! :)
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Very good advice given above. I work out at home and I have all the necessary equipment. But a few weeks ago my friend had a "bring a friend to gym week" so I went with her one day to show her some of the lifts I do and I entered the weight room and IT WAS TERRIFYING! LOL

I was so intimidated by all of the people in there I walked right back out - and I had been doing Stronglifts for at least 6 weeks and knew how to use the equipment but I couldn't bring myself to exercise in front of other people.

You are not alone. I'm just a big wimp who works out in her garage all alone lol :) Be confident and go in there and kick *kitten*!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    Very good advice given above. I work out at home and I have all the necessary equipment. But a few weeks ago my friend had a "bring a friend to gym week" so I went with her one day to show her some of the lifts I do and I entered the weight room and IT WAS TERRIFYING! LOL

I was so intimidated by all of the people in there I walked right back out - and I had been doing Stronglifts for at least 6 weeks and knew how to use the equipment but I couldn't bring myself to exercise in front of other people.

You are not alone. I'm just a big wimp who works out in her garage all alone lol :) Be confident and go in there and kick *kitten*!

So glad I am not the only one! Thanks for your comment, & I am going in there like I own the place on Wednesday!! lol
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I totally believe you can do it too....and once you do you will wonder how you ever questioned yourself!

But with that being said, you mentioned that you would be willing to pay a PT to show you. I would do that and specify off the get go that SL is the program you want to do and you are paying him/her to show you how to use the equipment and how to do the lifts. Either he/she agrees or they don't and don't get paid. Done!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Very good advice ^^ PTs are notorious for doing what they want or not really having a clue!

I also found waiting until someone finished their set, smiling and saying 'scuse me but I'm a weedy newbie, can you give me advice on X' worked well - they'll tell you if they don't know (the guy I asked didn't know what weight the smaller bar was, just the olympic bar for example).

Hope it goes well - oh and I would hope the guy who 'helped' you last time -isn't- there, he obviously didn't listen to what you wanted to do, and steered you to do something different!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

Oh, ^^THIS^^ !!!

I started lifting in the converted studio at the house. Nobody but the hubs around. I haven't DARED try to go to a real gym and brave the weight room, LOL...I cancelled my Y membership a few months ago because I was never going due to it's location, and didn't much care for the atmosphere (and price) of the one right around the corner from the house, so it's just better for me to stay hidden in the privacy of my own home, LOL...The only thing I was comfortable on at that gym was the elliptical, and I loaned mine to a friend, who returned it, so if I really feel the need? I just use my own, LOL.

Tameko's advice is wonderful! (As is her summary...) I watch a LOT of vids on form so that I could actually pick a bar up and feel halfway comfortable doing what I needed to. (There were many nights of sitting in the bathtub watching videos on the tablet because that's the only time I could get uninterrupted, LOL...)

Keep us posted on how it's going...:flowerforyou:
  • Fiesty1006
    Fiesty1006 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand on the shyness factor. I'm the type of person that clings to MH's hand when it starts to get too crowded. I go really early and late in the evening with the hopes that noone will be there. There were a few guys there last night.... But I did it anyway. You just have to decide what's more important - their opinion or changing your body. Granted, I won't have the courage to be lifting in a packed room anytime soon. But... one step at a time.

I also watch a ton of videos and read about form the night before I go in.

Also... Don't listen to the guy telling you that you shouldn't lift heavy. Unless he's your doctor, his opinion doesn't matter. :-)
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options

well --

Thanks for all the advice!!

My concern with the squat rack was that there were 4 seperate bars leaning on the wall by the rack, and nothing set up in the rack. I didnt know which bar I was supposed to use :blushing:

I am just *that* timid, I feel so uncomfortable without someone showing me or just THERE for moral support. There are two girls who work at my YMCA that one of them knows Stronglifts, the other does Crossfit, and they were going to help me with form, etc, however they are only there during hours I am at work or have my kiddos. I could just pay the $80 something for their personal trainer session, BUT i DONT want someone telling me to do other exercises, unless it will eventually help me get to lifting heavy.

Now I am nervous all over again for Wednesday, dangit! I can for sure check the exercises before going in there on youtube, etc, I already have some what but it was a good idea to watch how they set up for each lift, hopefully that will help me get started!

Thanks again!

THIS WAS ME! My first week. A gym full of meatheads and me the only girl. I felt so silly the first 6 workouts and now I rock out my SL workouts. It took me a while to figure out the bars and I still make mistakes. The PT at my gym said there were no Olympic bars but the other day I failed my squats because there was a 55lb OLY bar in the rack instead of the usual 45lb one. Yesterday the bar was too short and the weights were hitting the rack when I went down. Then while I was looking for help to get the right bar someone else started setting up the rack. I went in there told him what happened and we ended up sharing the rack and getting the RIGHT bar. yesterday was the first time I switched in with a guy and I felt I really belonged and imfailedmmy last set and fell on my butt. I am only on week 8. SO you can DO IT! If you do see a woman in there who looks like she knows what she's doing ask her for help. Now if any girl asked me for help I would be all over THAT! Especially since I am getting amazing strength gains and loss of inches. I LOVE this workout and its the first time I never miss a gym day!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest going to the free weights. I tried to do squats in a smith rack (which I'm assuming is what you used) and it was awful. I was either on my toes or feeling like I was going to topple backward, and resting my weight on the bar. I tried it the correct way for the first time yesterday, and I KNOW I was doing it right, because it felt right. I had my husband make sure I was going down far enough and looked like the guy in the video. Watch enough videos on youtube (there are some in the sticky thread) to know what it should look like. Try the form in front of the mirror with no weight to make sure you look correct.

I was the idiot weighing myself, and then myself with the bar to make sure it was 45lbs lol.... Try asking one of the gym workers what the weights of each bar are.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    And some day there will be a newbie there and HE will come ask you for help! :laugh:

Keep going at it! You will get it and you will be strong and confident!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I was very intimidated too the first time but the guys at my gym are very nice. I try to make an effort to be friendly and interact with them a little. (My picture is my gym face so you can see that this is an effort for me). keep at it - it gets easier every time!
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.. the guys in the downstairs weight room terrify me and there's no one to help teach me unless I want to pay the gym owner for private lessons. I mentioned Stronglifts and he totally blew me off. Arghh
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through some of the replies, but if it hasn't been mentioned already, I would suggest YouTube-ing the exercises and watching for form. I was clueless when I started lifting, but luckily I was using the empty gym in my office so no one knew how clueless I was. I got my form (somewhat) down for about a month but eventually had to join a gym because the office gym no longer provided what I need (all they had was a smith machine, no rack for Overhead Presses, etc). I waltzed right in took my place among the men and went to town. It's definitely intimidating, but we all start somewhere!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I consulted youtube and google, and tomorrow when I do workout B, I am going in there fearless! Will post back here! Thanks again, everyone :flowerforyou:
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I watched the YouTube videos again in the car on my phone before going into the gym so I made sure i knew what I was doing. Prior to that, I did a lot of YouTube watching and reading to get my comfort level up. I just started Tuesday, and did workout B today (Thursday).