"started" stronglifts today, couple of questions...

Options
2»

Replies

• leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    It could have been me, writing this, when it comes to feeling intimidated. I plan on going to the gym in the morning, hoping there would not be any one. But on the other hand, if there was someone, they might could help me. I have no clue about how to set things up or what to do in generel. :ohwell: I am very thankfull for this group and for my two friends here on MFP, who lifts.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It could have been me, writing this, when it comes to feeling intimidated. I plan on going to the gym in the morning, hoping there would not be any one. But on the other hand, if there was someone, they might could help me. I have no clue about how to set things up or what to do in generel. :ohwell: I am very thankfull for this group and for my two friends here on MFP, who lifts.

Beginners nervousness is totally normal, and a lot of the anxiety comes from the desire to do a good job and not wanting to fail.

You go work out there a few times and familiarize yourself, and your anxiety will soon change to excitement. :smile:

You can also "dry practice" the lifts in your home where nobody sees you, which you should be doing with squats anyway. I did countless bodyweight squats and stuck to the empty bar before I added any plates at all. Use dumbbells if you have them for overhead presses and rows, or improvise. Use a broom stick for squats deadlifts just to get a feel of how the bar should travel and to work on your stance. Etc.

Then by the time you get to the gym, pick a bar and go to town. Your body will already know the basic mechanics at that point.
  • leahartmann
    Options

Beginners nervousness is totally normal, and a lot of the anxiety comes from the desire to do a good job and not wanting to fail.

You go work out there a few times and familiarize yourself, and your anxiety will soon change to excitement. :smile:

You can also "dry practice" the lifts in your home where nobody sees you, which you should be doing with squats anyway. I did countless bodyweight squats and stuck to the empty bar before I added any plates at all. Use dumbbells if you have them for overhead presses and rows, or improvise. Use a broom stick for squats deadlifts just to get a feel of how the bar should travel and to work on your stance. Etc.

Then by the time you get to the gym, pick a bar and go to town. Your body will already know the basic mechanics at that point.
    Great advises, thank you!!
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have social anxiety pretty bad, which actually caused me to quit a gym because it became too popular. I now go to a 24-hour gym where I can go late when there aren't many people there. I still get quite nervous when it happens to be more crowded than I am used to. However, I have had a few times where people asked about my routine and how to do things. It really made me proud of myself and improved my confidence level... in the gym anyway. Hang in there, you'll feel at home in no time!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My best advice: Stay away from that guy in the gym. He doesn't know what he's talking about. "Women should just tone"???? Seriously??? That's ridiculous.

I actually quit my last gym so I wouldn't have to use machines, it's all they offered. Start over again from the very beginning and get comfortable with the barbell. Personally, the whole balancing act was amazing to me. I'm sore, without having added weights. Apparently two months on Smith machines squatting and dead lifting 100 pounds did not prepare me for the real deal. Also, use the internet, watch a lot of form videos and read about proper form. It'll help a lot with your confidence as well as your safety.

There's no reason to feel intimidated. I did too, but quickly realized the others didn't care that I was there or what I was doing, but If I asked for assistance, they were very helpful. One guy even congratulated me on getting started. It's not nearly as bad as you think it is.
  • leahartmann
    Options
    Had my first workout and it was awesome!

When I arrived to the gym, there was no trainer, no one to sign me in, nothing. Just and elderly lady who opens the place and though nice, she didn´t knew anything. I was just wandering around, trying to figure things out by myself Then suddenly a friend of mine showed up to lift. He immediately put his own work outat a side to help me. He showed me around, helped me out, showed me every move, was my spotter and corrected me when I did something wrong. I mentioned that workout B was different exercises from A, and he asked when I was going to be there next time. He would come and show me the new exercises.

I was so exited that I hardly slept the night before, but it was nothing but fun. Just wanted you to know. :smile:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    wonderful! everyone's dream, an empty gym and someone to help!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

When I arrived to the gym, there was no trainer, no one to sign me in, nothing. Just and elderly lady who opens the place and though nice, she didn´t knew anything. I was just wandering around, trying to figure things out by myself Then suddenly a friend of mine showed up to lift. He immediately put his own work outat a side to help me. He showed me around, helped me out, showed me every move, was my spotter and corrected me when I did something wrong. I mentioned that workout B was different exercises from A, and he asked when I was going to be there next time. He would come and show me the new exercises.

I was so exited that I hardly slept the night before, but it was nothing but fun. Just wanted you to know. :smile:

That is indeed awesome!

I have an empty gym every day, but sometimes I do wish I had somebody to help. Oh well. I always have the people in my head to talk to if I need somebody. :laugh:
  • leahartmann
    Options

It turned out that my friend was cheating me. He fooled me to lift more than I thought I did, by saying the weights was lighter than they were. LOL So on my first day I lifted and squatted 60.6 pound (emty bar on bench press and overhead press.)

By the way, I bought a broomstick to train on form. It´s going to be my new best friend. :happy:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    ha ha your friend is great! you are stronger than you think :)

and I just proved i have the mind of a 13 year old boy, s******ing at the broomstick being your new best friend. grow up woman!!
  • lwoodroff
    Options

and I just proved i have the mind of a 13 year old boy, s******ing at the broomstick being your new best friend. grow up woman!!

why the frick did it star out s-n-i-g-g-e-r-i-n-g? oh *sees the word within the word for the first time* that is stooopid!
  • leahartmann
    Options

Lol. Behave. :tongue: