Newbie in the prep stage! Confused...

Options
I've read so many posts tonight from this group! It's motivating and scary and I really want to try it out. As much as I have learned I still have some questions.

I am 48, 5'8 and 230 pounds. My TDEE is 2410. Holy buckets! I've been eating 1200-1300 for about a year now. Lost 40 pounds last year. I run 3 times per week and I am getting ready to start NROL4W this week as well.

So....I'm going to start the reset because I have completely stopped losing weight and 1200 is no longer sustainable mentally, not to mention physically.

I've read I should increase by about 250 cals each time. But here is my confusion after reading posts. Is it correct that I increase my cals every two weeks and then see if I have gained? If I have gained then do I stop? Keep going? You would think that after reading so many posts I would figure it out but I am so sorry I cannot and need someone to explain it to me simply.

Also, how do you know when you are ready to start cutting? What is the trigger that tells you it's time?

I appreciate it so very much. If anyone is interested in adding me as a friend I would completely appreciate that as well.

Sandra

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I will try to answer some as I am sure others have answers too.

You should increase calories each cycle (1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks whichever comes out next), and when you are no longer going up or your weight is going down (or staying the same) then you increase again.. At First you are going to gain scale weight, just eat at the level until it evens out (1-2 weeks maybe more) and increase again.
    Now to find your true TDEE (not just a calculation) you would eat to a level where you are constantly increasing weight, then subtract what that increase would be in calories to find your TDEE.. I would say when your around 2000 then I would reassess where you are and determine if you want to continue going up or if anything is happening at that level..
    I have heard a few things (with lifters that bulk/cut) that it takes your body the same amount of time that you cut to get back to the level you were previously.. and this is people that cut 20%, not 50%.. you can always repost when you are getting up there in calories and see if you want to keep going or cut as well.
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too in these questions. BUMP
  • SalonBoi
    SalonBoi Posts: 60
    Options
    Bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've read I should increase by about 250 cals each time. But here is my confusion after reading posts. Is it correct that I increase my cals every two weeks and then see if I have gained? If I have gained then do I stop? Keep going? You would think that after reading so many posts I would figure it out but I am so sorry I cannot and need someone to explain it to me simply.

Also, how do you know when you are ready to start cutting? What is the trigger that tells you it's time?

I appreciate it so very much. If anyone is interested in adding me as a friend I would completely appreciate that as well.

Sandra

I think the idea of small increases is great.
    Should have initial fast water weight gain.
    Then as metabolism comes up (because your current TDEE is obviously 1200 if no weight or measurement losses in 3-4 weeks), you should see slow weight gain stop.
    Then that level is new TDEE.
    Raise again, expect same results.

One hopes for a fast moving metabolism, once past initial water weight, it raises fast, and no weight gain. Raise again, no gain.
    At least it's willing to move.

Hopefully when you create a deficit it's not will to move so fast though.

Keep moving up until estimated TDEE. Hopefully at this time weight gains from the workout will have stopped.
    Hold at this level for couple weeks confirm no gain or loss.

Then increase by 250 daily for 2 weeks. If truly eating above TDEE, that would mean only 1 lb of fat in 2 weeks.
    If fast water weight gain first, likely won't be TDEE, because you shouldn't have that anymore. You'll probably find the new level is still no gain.

So that means up again. You want that 2 weeks of gaining only 1 lb slowly over the whole time. That proves your TDEE for that level of activity is 250 cal's less daily.

Now you have a number, TDEE.
    Divide by current weight BMR.
    There's your multiplier for this activity you do.
    Take your cut.

As weight lowers, BMR lowers. Use multiplier, there's new TDEE. Take your cut.
  • girlnextdoor64
    Options
    Thank you SO much!! That explains it perfectly!!!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Bump