Week 5

Options
Here we go.... Wish me luck

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Remember...when you get to D3 just keep going...don't let your mind psych you out! Good luck!
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Good luck! You will do great. Can´t wait to start week 5.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You got this!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You have been running three times a week for five weeks now. You are physically capable of a whole lot of running. You're not afraid to slow down, you know how to pace yourself and you know how to breathe. This week, the challenge is to get your mind on board with that. You absolutely can do that!
  • mamakira
    Options
    Next run for me will be Week 5 Day 3. I can´t wait to do it, the other days went really well. I am just surpised about the huge jump from week 4 Day 3 to week 5 day 3. Wish me luck!
  • mamakira
    Options
    I did it, I did it, happy dance! Now i take a rest day and then continue with week 6.:smile:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Great job!
  • kkluver
    kkluver Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am at week 5, aslo. Any suggestions on how to get over the mental hurddles?! Thats my only issue...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Think back at everything you've accomplished. Think about your last run. Did that seem possible for you when you were puffing and blowing on day 1? If you're like most of us, the answer would be "no." Week 5 is exactly the same.

You've been running for 5 weeks now. You are physically ready. You've got this. Now its time to prove that to yourself.

Get out there. Go as slow as you need to. And finish. There's nothing else quite like it.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    How was w5d3? I'll be ther this week...
  • mamakira
    Options
    You will be fine, go slow but steady, don´t think too much. PLan your route. It helped me that I could see the end so I knew, until there, not further. It was hard but I knew I can do it. Be convinced you can do it, you are ready!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am at week 5, aslo. Any suggestions on how to get over the mental hurddles?! Thats my only issue...

I just finished week 6. W5D3 was a huge mental hurdle for me. My suggestions:

1. Be sure you stretch. I've been bad about this, but I did it before the 'big" run, and I had no pain in my legs.
    2. Distraction. I usually listen to an audio Bible, but I decided I needed some music with some good beats. So I loaded my phone with some driving tunes. And I figured most songs were about 3-5 minutes, so I would need to run for 5 songs.
    3. Adjust your speed, as need. I am a slow runner. My top speed is 3.5. I started at 3.5, and each song, I dropped the speed .1. It gave me just a little boost. And I knew it was coming up.
    4. Positive self talk. "You are doing great!" "Almost there!" etc.---especially during the final song.
    5. Celebrate! When I finished, I nearly whooped out loud! I was so shocked--and excited. For the first time in my life, I experienced a runner's high. (I normally don't feel better after exercise). I posted on Facebook, MFP, and my blog. And I texted everyone who I thought might send a positive response! (And they all did!)
  • vkmoorthy
    vkmoorthy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can do it. If you feel tired try to create short goals. I kept telling myself till this song is over and all of a sudden the app said 1 more minute . You can do it. Good luck
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    I just did w5d2 and quite frankly that went a lot easier than I'd imagined. I'm psyched to take a stab at the dreaded w5d3. Everything I read from everyone who's been there tells me I can do it. So I'm looking forward to the part where I actually do it successfully. I wouldn't believe if today hadn't felt so easy. Well not *easy* but I did it without suffering and I felt like I could have kept on going.

It's kind of crazy. Wasn't that long ago I'd never run ever.

I started hoping to burn calories fast and maybe improve my general stamina in everything I do. I can't believe how fast the progress I've made has come. I'm actually starting to believe I might actually run a 5K one day! And maybe even in another month.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm so proud of you, Julie!

Yes, dmw45 - remember how hard it was to run that first minute. Or how you scoffed at being able to run five minutes. Or ten minutes. You did all those. This will be the same.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I just finished week 6. W5D3 was a huge mental hurdle for me. My suggestions:

1. Be sure you stretch. I've been bad about this, but I did it before the 'big" run, and I had no pain in my legs.
    2. Distraction. I usually listen to an audio Bible, but I decided I needed some music with some good beats. So I loaded my phone with some driving tunes. And I figured most songs were about 3-5 minutes, so I would need to run for 5 songs.
    3. Adjust your speed, as need. I am a slow runner. My top speed is 3.5. I started at 3.5, and each song, I dropped the speed .1. It gave me just a little boost. And I knew it was coming up.
    4. Positive self talk. "You are doing great!" "Almost there!" etc.---especially during the final song.
    5. Celebrate! When I finished, I nearly whooped out loud! I was so shocked--and excited. For the first time in my life, I experienced a runner's high. (I normally don't feel better after exercise). I posted on Facebook, MFP, and my blog. And I texted everyone who I thought might send a positive response! (And they all did!)

liked the pep talk and adjusting speed...think ill be doing more of that in the next couple of days. Did Week 5 day 1 yesterday with a buggy in tow and i felt like i was going to be ill..
    I've ditched the buggy for the next 2 runs - panic not people the baby and buggy will be safely at home with hubby kikiki