Success

Options
I posted this on the Christians unite page, but really felt the need to re-post it here as well. I think some of you who struggle so much with emotional eating may be able to relate, and I hope and pray this helps you. I know your pain and struggle all too well.

It's not often I start my own topic, or even make time to read through all these wonderful posts. I have two young children at home, a busy husband, and sometimes the message boards are on my list of wants instead of needs. Huge bummer for me, as i know how much there is to gain from reading and sharing in this community. But I need to share something with you all, so i am making the time (while my daughter is at awanna and my baby is with her nana, who popped in to visit :smile:

Back story: The past couple of weeks have just been a mess, as they usually are, if I'm being honest. My husband has been away so much in the evenings, my daughters took turns being sick with fever or crazy colds, I've had so many committments/obligations that I just have been feeling like there is no 'me', just feeling so low. Completely overwhelmed at times, so grumpy other times, generally down in the dumps. Now here comes the good part.

The success: during the past 2 weeks I have not binged. I have not eaten for emotional reasons. Not once. For me, this is HUGE. I can't really remember a time prior to this that I did not turn to food when I felt that way. It started one morning when I was praying, reading several devotionals, a book about confidence, & a book about weight loss and turning to God instead of food. As I sat there wondering WHY I do this do myself ("this" being the previous night's episode of emotional eating), the answer came to mind. I have been punishing myself, through food.

To someone else, this revelation may not be a big deal. For me it was a jaw dropper. All this time I've turned to stuffing my face, mindlessly, almost mechanically, when I feel overwhelmed, anxious, angry, uncertain, (enter the emotion, ANY emotion). So to realize that eating that way was a PUNISHMENT???? One that I've been putting on myself??? Wow. WOW.

As I continued in prayer and thought, I knew with all certainty that there's no reason for me to punish myself. God doesn't want me to punish myself, there's no need. He sent his son for my sins, and I cannot disrespect myself and the body he gave me by punishing myself. I am done punishing myself. I was that day. I found a diet and lifestyle plan that I beleive works for my body, and I am sticking with it. God wants me to stop the punishment and start living the life he intended me to live.

I wish I time to write more. I just wanted to share this, hoping that some other emotional eaters will read this and have the same "wow" moment. I praise and thank our great God for that moment...the one where I listened. The moment that changed my life. I pray that anyone else locked in the chains of their own self-punishment has the same blessed moment of awareness. God is good. All the time.

Love to you all,
Jen