Fat Fat Fat - I need more Fat!

Options
tanigrrrrr
tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
Hi All,

Im trying to really keep my macros pretty strict and am struggling to get the fat that I need... I have a huge amount of cream every day in my coffee's and try to add butter to everything... ive even taken to eating cream cheese ... but I dont seem to get my fat levels to the 75% mark where I would like them.. currently hovering at around 71%..

Any ideas for something fatty and delicious that I can devour???

Replies

• EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Bacon!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like. I do manage to get my fat to 75% pretty much every day. A today it's a little off because of the extra fiber but otherwise I keep my macros pretty strict. My diary is open.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple articles that Ifound helpful
    http://www.carbsmart.com/how-to-add-more-fat-to-your-low-carb-diet-for-nutritional-ketosis.html
    http://www.carbsmart.com/10-healthy-high-fat-foods-perfect-for-nutritional-ketosis.html

I usually eat 85% fat until I leave work. Then for dinner I go more moderate. Most days I finish around 75-80% fat. But I am targeting items at breakfast and lunch that I know are very high fat.

The fat fast cookbook helped me a lot. they have a lot of good ideas in there. For example, I had been snacking on almonds. But pecans are super high in fat. And they have recipe for butter pecans that take them even higher. Fat bombs are another great option. Whipped cream with some cocoa, vanilla extract, and a little sweetener, whipped cream on sugar free jello. There is a Ham and Cheese Egg Cup recipe that I love - kind of a soufflé.
  • Stubbula
    Stubbula Posts: 8
    Options
    I save my bacon grease in a mason jar and refrigerate it. I'll add a a teaspoon or so to my greens at dinner. It usually isn't enough to make it overly greasy and adds a slight salty and smoky flavor.

Each teaspoon comes out to just over 4 grams of fat/0 protein/o carbs
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Not sure if this helps, but to achieve the 75% fat target, your ratio of fat grams to protein grams must be at or better than 2 to 1. That is, you need twice as many fat grams as protein grams in what you are eating.

I think. Cold meds and maths don't mix well.
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Seriously, bacon. :) When I am at work I start with bacon and a hard-boiled egg from the hospital cafeteria (even they can't mess that up!)

Also, I have had some good luck incorporating fat bombs into my diet. (I have my recipe on my blog here).

Also, I use either a mayo based or olive oil based salad dressing.
    I use a sugar free version of Japanese shrimp sauce that is made with splenda, mayo and butter as a condiment.
    Cook everything in butter/ bacon drippings/ coconut oil.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Bacon won't do it. It's too high in protein to get you to a 75% fat target. Same with an egg.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Everytime I eat something super fatty its either fatty meat cooked in butter or eggs with butter, and Kira is right.. my ratio protein to fat doesnt improve because the protein amount is going up with the amount of fat...

Ive been considering making some fat bombs...I might try that.. my other thing is to start eating cream! *yuummm
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Mayo.
    Avocado.
    Nuts.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I don't have specific recommendations based on what you are eating. Here are some things I've learned in order to get the fat macro over 75%.

You can't just add fat to raise the ratio. You have to lower the the others.

Lowered my protein: only 3-4 oz of meat at a meal. 1 egg instead of 2. Sometimes bacon is only meat for breakfast. I buy chicken leg quarters instead of chicken breasts.

MIM's (flax seed muffins) are great for breakfast.

Cook a lot in lard, butter or bacon fat.

Homemade mayo is my friend.

Lots of avocado.

Have to watch those carbs carefully.

My diary is public so you can see what my meals are typically like.
  • Asphere79
    Asphere79 Posts: 41
    Options
    Check out these:

http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.com/2012/07/fat-bombs.html

One a day will keep the macro troubles away...