Raw Foods!

Options
My plan is to start incorporating more raw foods into my diet not merely as an attempt to lose more weight but as a means to feel better, stronger and more energetic. I plan to keep post my thoughts and results of this new experiment and I am looking forward to much support.
Monique

Replies

• Mrs_Shajunna
    Options
    I'm planning to juice raw veg's and fruits. I began today but having a problem with the count of the calories...
  • IcaWise
    IcaWise Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I came across this (free) challenge on the internet that you two might be interested in--the 30 day green smoothie challenge. It starts on April 1st. In the meantime, they've sent out recipes and tips to prep. I made their Beginner's Luck smoothie this morning and my husband (who initially was grumping about all my healthy eating) LOVED it and is starting to get on the healthy bandwagon.

http://simplegreensmoothies.com/30-day-challenge-april-1
  • demoine
    demoine Posts: 5
    Options
    So, last night I went to the store and purchased alot of fruits and vegetables. Today I replaced two meals with raw fruits and veggies. I feel ok but the real test will come in April when I attempt the 30 day green smoothie challenge.
    Thank you to Mrs. Shajunna for your encouragement and thank you to IcaWise for the wonderful website that you posted. I have already signed up and they have some wonderful free recipes.
    I suppose that I have a little time to play with different combinations while trying to find which taste suits me best before I'm knee deep in the challenge.
  • Mrs_Shajunna
    Options
    Thank you IcaWise, I think I would love it because it is easier for me to juice. Can you give me more information? I'm a full time pastor and this may be something that will benefit the church :)
  • Mrs_Shajunna
    Options
    After reading your post demoine, I must say "I am encouraged". I can't thank you and IcaWise enough for your support!
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat a fair bit of raw veg, Kale being one of my faves (throw some nuts and seeds in with it and a bit of rocket to spice it up). Not sure I'd go down the smoothie route personally.
  • Mrs_Shajunna
    Options
    DarrelBirkett, I love kale too but I'm trying to cut the fat to lose weight, so if I put the nuts in my kale won't I be adding fat?
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Dont be scared of fat, the body needs fat and nuts are one of the best sources. In your diet, its a good idea to allow around 20% fat.

For every 1000 calories you eat, thats 200 cals from fat. As 1g of fat = 9 cals, thats around 22g of fat / 1000 calories of food. Or 11g per 500 cals.

to lose weight, its about keeping your daily calories below your TDEE, not about losing fat. Most people are actually eating too many carbs. What your body doesnt use (for energy) it can store as fat.

Good sources of fat include nuts, seeds, avocado & oily fish (like salmon)
    Sources you really want to avoid are from processed foods and foods heavy in saturated fats.