Starving at Night

Options
Hey fellow late-night studiers!

I find that when I am up late doing work, and after I have met my goals for the day, I become FAMISHED.

I have tried drinking tea with one almond thin [22 cals], drinking more water, drinking carbonated water, etc...

I know the obvious answer is to eat something more substantial, but what can I have/ do to prevent going over my calorie goal, but also stop the obnoxious and distracting rumbling in my tummy?

Thanks!

Replies

• getrightgetfitgethappy
    Options
    Hey,

I dealt with this problem when I was in college also. I suggest when you know you're going to have a late night possibly setting aside maybe 100-200 calories that you can use. I would pack things to snack on that equal up to the amount of calories I have allotted. Some of my favorite choices were fruit (frozen grapes, blueberries, strawberries), some of my favorite low calorie veggies (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, sliced cucumbers), a mini bag of popcorn, or roasted chickpeas (you can season them to be salty or sweet). I always chose things that I could keep grabbing for.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the PP...if you're up late, your body's going to need energy. I would have a couple hundred calories for a good snack (something with a good mix of carbs, fat and protein) for those evening that you know you'll be burning the midnight oil. If you pre-log your food for the day it will help you plan and spread things out so you're fuelling yourself all day :)
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have that problem too, I always feel like grazing when I'm staying up late to study!!
    If it is possible, I try to study with friends so then even if I eat something I wouldn't end up binging.. But I know that might not be an option sometime, so I try gum.
    But if you have no issues with binging, then I say get eat something with a mix of carb/protein/fat in some form! I always start with fruits but eating just fruits sometime make me hungrier due to the sugar so maybe a fruits with cheese/yoghurt/pb?
    I also agree to make some allowance in terms of calories!! :)
    But again sometimes if you go over as long as it is not too overboard I wouldn't sweat it... Your brain needs the energy!! And look at it in terms of weekly caloric intake! As long as it averages out fine then it's all good :)
    Also, prioritize the exams first and you can always compensate after that :)
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I dealt with this problem when I was in college also. I suggest when you know you're going to have a late night possibly setting aside maybe 100-200 calories that you can use. I would pack things to snack on that equal up to the amount of calories I have allotted.

This is really great advice! Setting aside calories for late night snacking is something I've learned to put into practice. Also, choosing snacks that are nutritious as well as packed with energy is important. Things like nuts, fruit, and peanut butter can give you a healthy energy boost to help you push through late night study sessions while still keeping your caloric intake under control. At least that's what I've found. Also drinking hot tea helps me when I need to curb the late night cravings.