Okay Routine for Injured Beginner?

Options
ThriftyChica12
ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
Up until now, I have taken a kind of ad-hoc approach to exercise: trying to work out most days of the week, doing stuff that is fun and feels a little challenging, etc. But the last time I had a true STRUCTURED fitness plan was back in late 2011 when I trained for my first half marathon.

I loved knowing what I needed to do every day, and having measurable goals and working toward them. Sadly, I began to have pains in my left knee during that training, and kept training anyway. I completed the half-marathon (walking, so my time was a little less than 4 hours!), but my knee has not been the same since.

So, I have known for a while that I need to create my OWN plan that strengthens my body, avoids further stress to my knee (some pain is inevitable, but I need to be careful), and gives me some structure. I just created this plan this morning...it may change eventually as I move on to different workouts, but here's what I'd like to do for the next 6 weeks or so, before re-evaluating and tweaking the plan:

Sunday: Total Rest Day

Monday:
Core N Curves DVD 25 mins
Exercise Bike 20 mins
Full body stretch

Tuesday:
Exercise Bike 20 mins
Any movement of choice (hoop dance, light walk, stretch)

Wednesday:
Core N Curves DVD 25 mins
Full body stretch

Thursday:
20 min brisk walk (warm-up)
Nerd Fitness Beginner Body Weight Strength (20 mins?)
Full-Body Stretch

Friday: PARTIAL Rest Day
Yoga, stretching, light movement

Saturday:
20 min brisk walk (warm up)
Nerd Fitness Beginner Body Weight Strength (2o mins?)
Full body Stretch

When I look at this schedule, it seems like a lot...and yet there is so much more that I want to fit in: hoop dancing, yoga classes, Zumba classes...
Left to my own devices, I would do nothing my cardio and dance. My knee won't allow that, and maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

Comments and suggestions welcome: I want to stay safe, build some strength to protect my joints, and tone up a little. I don't really care about six pack abs, I hate machines (but like dumbells, body weight exercises, and lat. pull down machine or pull up assist machine), and just want to be healthy and balanced in my body.

Here are link to the main workouts I am using:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhhl3_tYEs8

Replies