Take it slow or go fast?

Options
2»

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    With strength being the goal, I wouldn't focus on speed per se, but a controlled concentric and an "explosive" eccentric.

When you get close to 90%, "speed" isn't really a concern, because you couldn't go fast if you tried, and going slow could be dangerous. You're just focused on moving the weight with good form.

There might be some hypertrophy benefits to going slow, but I would save that for isolation work.

Awesome, thanks man!

ETA Help a ESL guy out with the bolded area though please?

Derp. Thanks for bolding that, because I got my terminology backwards. Concentric = muscle contraction = lifting the weight. Eccentric = muscle lengthening = lowering the weight. I should have said explosive concentric and controlled eccentric.

Umm, so basically this for squats, OHP and bench presses?
    Slow and steady down, push as hard as you can up

Sorry but having a hard time understanding this one :(

The last quote is basically saying the same thing as the first quote.

hi Sarauk2sf

Thanks for the help Sara. All these people derailing ma thread and being mean. God people on this site are jerks and rude!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    They are big ole meanies fo sho!

Locking as part of our new procedure to try to help track open threads: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/914180-thread-locking-and-intake-follow-ups

Feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel to unlock if you want to add anything.
This discussion has been closed.