8 pounds in 5 days

Options
Gone!

I only wonder if this is "real" weight or "water" weight. Does anybody know?

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    WOW amazing! I wish that could be me also!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    The human body stores 5-6 lbs of glycogen normally. Once you stop eating carbs, your body thinks it is in an emergency as your blood glucose drops. So, it depletes your glycogen stores trying to maintain glucose. Once the glycogen is used up, you then begin the transition to using fatty acids (ketones) for energy instead of glucose.

You wiped out some water weight AND all the glycogen you were storing. You should feel less "bloated" at this point. Your body can enter a state of nutritional ketosis where it burns fat for energy, rather than storing fat. Then, if you eat at a deficit of calories, your body MUST burn fat stored on your body. AND since fat conversion to ketones and energy is much less efficient than carbs to glucose, you will actually burn up more weight than your calorie deficit indicates.

The "miracle" of how this works is all pretty straightforward chemistry and human biology :-)

congratulations, by the way .... I bet you feel pretty darn good right now.

And a quick P.S. It cannot be "water weight" .... 8 lbs of water would be about 16 cups. You would have edema occurring that was physically threatening your health if you were retaining that much water prior to starting this process. I knew a guy who was retaining that much water (due to severe health issues) and he was so physically ill he had problems walking and couldn't sleep. If you retain more than a couple pounds of water for more than 24 hours you are going to realize it.
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options
    Thank you. I didn't even think about that P.S. part. I *do* know when I am storing water, as is evidenced in my ankles during certain times of the month.

I'm not sure I've entered ketosis entirely yet. I think I'm in it somewhat with the bad breath, stinky pee, and extra energy, but without ketostix or a testing device, I don't know for sure how "strong" my ketosis state is yet.
  • LoveCincy
    LoveCincy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The human body stores 5-6 lbs of glycogen normally. Once you stop eating carbs, your body thinks it is in an emergency as your blood glucose drops. So, it depletes your glycogen stores trying to maintain glucose. Once the glycogen is used up, you then begin the transition to using fatty acids (ketones) for energy instead of glucose.

You wiped out some water weight AND all the glycogen you were storing. You should feel less "bloated" at this point. Your body can enter a state of nutritional ketosis where it burns fat for energy, rather than storing fat. Then, if you eat at a deficit of calories, your body MUST burn fat stored on your body. AND since fat conversion to ketones and energy is much less efficient than carbs to glucose, you will actually burn up more weight than your calorie deficit indicates.

The "miracle" of how this works is all pretty straightforward chemistry and human biology :-)

congratulations, by the way .... I bet you feel pretty darn good right now.

And a quick P.S. It cannot be "water weight" .... 8 lbs of water would be about 16 cups. You would have edema occurring that was physically threatening your health if you were retaining that much water prior to starting this process. I knew a guy who was retaining that much water (due to severe health issues) and he was so physically ill he had problems walking and couldn't sleep. If you retain more than a couple pounds of water for more than 24 hours you are going to realize it.

All very good info thanks for sharing! I'm on day 4, down 4 pounds and so far feeling great!!!