SO DISAPPOINTED SO FAR!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
So it's been 6 days on this diet and I've lost ONE measly pound. Just one. My carbs have been under 20g every single day and when I tested my urine on the ketostix it came out negative!:explode:

Can someone please help me? Not sure if I need more far or what. I've been eating turkey bacon and the low fat cheese (no carbs but low in fat nonetheless.)

I did go out and buy some "real" bacon today. I ate the turkey bacon because that's what I had in my freezer and didn't want to just throw it out. My fat grams are around 70 a day. Is this enough or do I need to increase it? I'm also working out and drinking TONS of water.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. I'm so ready to throw in the towel right now.:sad: :sad:

Thanks,
Lisa

Replies

• chirpinggalaxy
    Options
    I'm no expert here (only on it 5 days so far) but don't eat low fat anything. Up your fat intake. Only buy "real" foods with their natural fat content intact.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You could call me "primal keto" I suppose. I don't really like labels, but they are a bit unavoidable when trying to explain the foods I eat/don't eat.

One thing that changed everything for me is choosing to change my lifestyle for my HEALTH, rather than weight loss. You've only been at it SIX days. It's not a race and if you view it like that and have a finish line in mind, then your success will be short lived indeed. Not everyone goes into ketosis quickly, some people take longer.

As bpmamon said, don't eat low fat anything, and I would suggest avoiding processed foods (yes, throw them out, health is priceless). And, strangely, when the body gets super healthy, one will lose weight quite effortlessly. But not always linear, so getting frustrated with the number on the scale after only six days is a good way to get derailed. Use the scale for data, nothing more.

I eat 70-80% fat, 15-20% protein, and around 5% carbs. 70 fat grams is pretty darn low. I aim to get about 130+. I don't always get there but I try. So you must be getting most of your excess from protein. Too much protein, with too little fat can be part of the problem.

And, by the way, a one pound loss is good, something to celebrate, NOT be disappointed by.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies! I just had a fabulous lunch with REAL bacon and REAL cheese! I'll up my fat and see what happens. I guess I'm still stuck in the mindset that low fat is good. Ugh. Trying to wrap my brain around this new way of eating for me. It's hard but I won't give up!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa
    I looked at the last 6 days of your diary. The lowest level of carbs I saw was 37 grams, and I saw one day that was at 84 grams. I suspect you are doing net carbs, and subtracting your fiber and sugar alcohols? This still seems very high.

For your macros during these 6 days:

Carbs Fat Protein
    12% 59% 33%
    11% 48% 41%
    12% 53% 37%
    9% 44% 47%
    11% 29% 62%
    37% 37% 38%

Last Friday you only had 29% of your calories from fat. The average during these 6 days is only 45% fat. Meanwhile, your level of protein is on average, 43% of your calories. These are way out of whack. Instead of High Fat, Adequate Protein, you are eating Moderate Fat, Excess Protein.

Excess protein will convert to glucose in your body. It is the same as eating sugar at that point. You ate 194 g of protein last Saturday, and 224 g last Thursday. This is way higher than what the recommendations are for a keto diet. (I target 70 g of protein per day).

Other notes -
    Atkins Bars. These have sugar alcohols. Many people find that they create a stall. Use with caution.
    As you mentioned, you are eating low fat cheese and low fat bacon. Those are easy fixes.
    Last Friday - protein powder and egg whites.
    Thursday - Medifast shakes.

Your diary in general look like a low-fat diary, not a keto diary. You might want to check out some keto cookbooks and websites to find recipes and food plans that are more suited to keto.

I'm guessing you are using the website and not an iPhone app or iPad app. (The apps have a handy pie-chart that automatically gives you the breakdown by % of fat-protein-carbs). But try to eat DOUBLE the grams of fat as there is protein - that would be roughly 75% of your calories from fat). If you can do this you will be in ketosis in no time.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Hi Lisa
    I looked at the last 6 days of your diary. The lowest level of carbs I saw was 37 grams, and I saw one day that was at 84 grams. I suspect you are doing net carbs, and subtracting your fiber and sugar alcohols? This still seems very high.

Carbs Fat Protein
    12% 59% 33%
    11% 48% 41%
    12% 53% 37%
    9% 44% 47%
    11% 29% 62%
    37% 37% 38%

Last Friday you only had 29% of your calories from fat. The average during these 6 days is only 45% fat. Meanwhile, your level of protein is on average, 43% of your calories. These are way out of whack. Instead of High Fat, Adequate Protein, you are eating Moderate Fat, Excess Protein.

Excess protein will convert to glucose in your body. It is the same as eating sugar at that point. You ate 194 g of protein last Saturday, and 224 g last Thursday. This is way higher than what the recommendations are for a keto diet. (I target 70 g of protein per day).

Other notes -
    Atkins Bars. These have sugar alcohols. Many people find that they create a stall. Use with caution.
    As you mentioned, you are eating low fat cheese and low fat bacon. Those are easy fixes.

Your diary in general look like a low-fat diary, not a keto diary. You might want to check out some keto cookbooks and websites to find recipes and food plans that are more suited to keto.

I'm guessing you are using the website and not an iPhone app or iPad app. (The apps have a handy pie-chart that automatically gives you the breakdown by % of fat-protein-carbs). But try to eat DOUBLE the grams of fat as there is protein - that would be roughly 75% of your calories from fat). If you can do this you will be in ketosis in no time.

Hi there! Thanks so much for reviewing my diary. I actually started keto last Friday so just ignore the medifast stuff from last Thursday. lol. Anyway....Yes, I am subtracting my fiber and sugar alcohols from the total carbs. This did come out to under or just at 20g/day but maybe I should be steering clear of the atkins products. I just CRAVE something sweet after dinner and the atkins bars seem to help me big time with my sugar cravings. Is there something else I can use to get my sweet fix that you would recommend???

I will definitely try to get more fat into my diet! It's just so hard for my mind to accept the "fat is good" concept! I was definitely a no fat/low fat kinda girl which is what got me overweight in the first place. :blushing: :sad:

Again, thanks so much for looking at my food diary. Much appreciated! I will really try to get more fat into my diet despite what my brain is telling me to do!:laugh:
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    How does my diary look so far today??
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    If you were on Medifast, you've already had the big first-week loss that comes with a ketogenic diet. You've just switched from one keto diet to another. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this (in fact, I'm planning on that same switch this summer), but you won't get that loss that comes with the release of glycogen reserves.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    If you were on Medifast, you've already had the big first-week loss that comes with a ketogenic diet. You've just switched from one keto diet to another. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this (in fact, I'm planning on that same switch this summer), but you won't get that loss that comes with the release of glycogen reserves.

I actually did medifast 2 years ago with great success. I still have tons of food leftover that I have from time to time. My carbs were already low so that does make sense about my glycogen reserves being low. I was even thinking about that earlier! That must be why I didn't have the huge loss the first week that all the cool people have. LOL!

Thanks so much for your reply!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options

If this were true though, she'd show being in ketosis. She hasn't been following a ketogenic diet at all.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies! I just had a fabulous lunch with REAL bacon and REAL cheese! I'll up my fat and see what happens. I guess I'm still stuck in the mindset that low fat is good. Ugh. Trying to wrap my brain around this new way of eating for me. It's hard but I won't give up!
    The hardest thing my wife and I had to adjust to was the idea that naturally occurring fats in animals, nuts, dairy, etc are actually good for you. Next hardest was the idea that I should avoid whole grains, oatmeal, etc. Pasta, processed bread, that sort of thing I could understand. But it was beat into us for decades that we should up our grains and fruits and it turns out we shouldn't.

Best of luck. Feel free to read my food and exercise diary, it's always open. I am not a "keto person" just doing primal eating with an emphasis on eliminating carbs and processed foods and sugars from my diet.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Hi Lisa

Carbs Fat Protein
    12% 59% 33%
    11% 48% 41%
    12% 53% 37%
    9% 44% 47%
    11% 29% 62%
    37% 37% 38%

Other notes -

Hi there! Thanks so much for reviewing my diary. I actually started keto last Friday so just ignore the medifast stuff from last Thursday. lol. Anyway....Yes, I am subtracting my fiber and sugar alcohols from the total carbs. This did come out to under or just at 20g/day but maybe I should be steering clear of the atkins products. I just CRAVE something sweet after dinner and the atkins bars seem to help me big time with my sugar cravings. Is there something else I can use to get my sweet fix that you would recommend???

I will definitely try to get more fat into my diet! It's just so hard for my mind to accept the "fat is good" concept! I was definitely a no fat/low fat kinda girl which is what got me overweight in the first place. :blushing: :sad:

Again, thanks so much for looking at my food diary. Much appreciated! I will really try to get more fat into my diet despite what my brain is telling me to do!:laugh:

I first came to know about keto through the Atkins diet but that was when Dr. Atkins was still alive. I think he was great, however, I do not think much of the corporation as it is now and I won't touch their "food". They use artificial sweeteners and while many people think they are ok and don't notice problems, many of us do have big problems with them. Also, sugar alcohol does have an impact whether it supposedly counts as carbs or not. Same for regular alcohol. Alcohol screws me up bad (of course I still have it on occasion but I'm prepared for the setback).

The only way to stop the sweet cravings is to totally DENY the craving. Avoid anything and everything sweet. Eat as much fat, and moderate protein as needed to get through. I love bacon, steak, eggs, mushrooms fried in butter and you can eat those in pretty large amounts until you get through the worst of it. After you are settled (ketosis) and not craving, berries make the best "sweet" snack.

Trying using only whole, homemade food for awhile (or permanently). Even most condiments have sugar, canola, soy oil etc. I've learned to make my own condiments and it's very easy.

Fat, fat and more fat. I put fat on EVERYTHING.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

I actually did medifast 2 years ago with great success. I still have tons of food leftover that I have from time to time. My carbs were already low so that does make sense about my glycogen reserves being low. I was even thinking about that earlier! That must be why I didn't have the huge loss the first week that all the cool people have. LOL!

Thanks so much for your reply!

It bugs me a little to see credit given to the diet industry. If the Medifast was a success, you wouldn't be here. (Yes, the Medifast is the failure, NOT YOU.) It was a failure because it did not make you healthy, did not offer you a sustainable lifestyle, and cost you lots of money (that's an assumption-I don't know what it cost). Processed food is not healthy; processed diet food is usually even worse. Don't be afraid to throw out food, because there is much money to be saved from not eating it.

Edit: I'm not dumping on you, please don't take it that way! I think you are doing well and kudos to you for listening to all our advice with an open mind. I wish you all the best on your health journey. (I just have a big hate-on for the corporations that hurt our health for profit.)
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options

I'll take this one!
    I'm new to this way of life as well. Like....5 days new. I went cold turkey on all sweets and grains. It sucked for about a day and a half. I had a horrible headache and was just not with it. Now? I still have cravings, but they're tolerable. I have them under control and I haven't (and won't) give in to them.

Yesterday, I had a supremely emotional day. I *almost* ran to the pantry and had some cookies. But then I stopped and realized what I was doing and I didn't give in. Even though it was a difficult day, and difficult in the cravings department, I didn't give in.

I'm not saying I'm perfect and I won't slip, but for now I'm doing well.

I actually recommend going cold turkey. Get it done all at once. Go through hell and come out the other side even stronger.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses and encouragement! I can DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LoveCincy
    LoveCincy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I made some Fat Bombs today as recommended by someone else in another post and they taste awesome, are good fats and low carb PLUS they are sweet. I used what I had on hand, 1 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup natural peanut butter, 1 stick unsalted butter, 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa, a dash of zero calorie sweetener and a Tbsp of vanilla.

I've also enjoyed some roasted cocoa almonds which are a bit sweet but low carbs and low sugar - they're really tasty!

I understand your cravings, and if you don't find alternative options you're more likely to cheat or fall off the wagon. (Well most people, at least. )

Good luck!!!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    I made some Fat Bombs today as recommended by someone else in another post and they taste awesome, are good fats and low carb PLUS they are sweet. I used what I had on hand, 1 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup natural peanut butter, 1 stick unsalted butter, 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa, a dash of zero calorie sweetener and a Tbsp of vanilla.

I've also enjoyed some roasted cocoa almonds which are a bit sweet but low carbs and low sugar - they're really tasty!

I understand your cravings, and if you don't find alternative options you're more likely to cheat or fall off the wagon. (Well most people, at least. )

Good luck!!!

Sounds yummy but can I have these in the induction phase of atkins? Thanks!
  • witeowl
    Options
    It bugs me a little to see credit given to the diet industry. If the Medifast was a success, you wouldn't be here. (Yes, the Medifast is the failure, NOT YOU.) It was a failure because it did not make you healthy, did not offer you a sustainable lifestyle, and cost you lots of money (that's an assumption-I don't know what it cost).

Well, dammit, then there's absolutely no hope for me. I had great success on the "eat less and exercise more" plan in the past, but then it came back. I've had success on the "eat whole, natural foods and exercise more" plan, and then it came back. I've had success on Jenny Craig-type diets, and then it came back. I've had success on Atkins, and then it came back. I've had success on just being so busy that food wasn't even on my mind, and then it came back.

Sometimes there are issues beyond the "diet". Just because something didn't stick for one person doesn't mean it's worthless for everyone, and it doesn't even mean that it's worthless for that person. It just means that it wasn't the right solution at the right time.
  • witeowl
    Options
    If this were true though, she'd show being in ketosis. She hasn't been following a ketogenic diet at all.

True enough. I tuned that detail out.
  • LoveCincy
    LoveCincy Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Good luck!!!

Sounds yummy but can I have these in the induction phase of atkins? Thanks!

Eeek, I'm not sure...I'm just following the vague LCHF diet not a specific diet like Atkins so I can't give you proper advice there.