WOOO HOOOO 5K

Options
I finally did a 5k walk/jog on my treadmill at home in just under an hour. 58:45 mins. I was so excited that I just did my cool down and cried. I was so happy.

I've noticed that my endurance is getting better and I'm enjoying it more and I switch it up a little when I'm going along. I'll up the incline to and very the speed more or less. Some good tunes helps too. :)

And I love working out in front of the window with the cold air. :)

how are you guys doing? What do you do to keep it fresh?

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    That's such a great feeling, isn't it? You are doing so great. Keep it up!

I've got a nasty chest cold which is keeping me off the treadmill. I tried earlier this week and just started wheezing. Before that, though, I was doing well and slowly building up stamina and speed. My best 5K time was 47 minutes. I've been outside once for a jog and really liked it but it kicked my butt stamina-wise. I've got some work to do before I can call myself a true jogger but I'm having a good time getting there.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Plexgut - don't kid yourself. You are a runner. I hope you feel better soon.

Mrs. Green - That is great! Being able to run three miles is a huge accomplishment. Many, many, many people aren't able to do that. It's so inspiring to hear about you reaching that goal. Isn't it amazing how much we can accomplish if we're given the right direction and dig down deep inside us?

I totally understand you crying. When I pushed off the starting line at the 5k last weekend, I got tears in my eyes because I felt so blessed to have the skill, the strength and the health to do it. That's actually what keeps me going most days. I've also put together a training program on Runners World so I have goals for each day. And I want to try trail running as soon as it warms up a little more too.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Vardaeml, you are doing so great! You've really got it together and it's working so well. Your progress keeps me inspired because of your success.
    I'm a bit lost since finishing C25K. I'm adding speed and incline but with no set pattern or routine and am trying to find a program to help focus me and keep me advancing. I'm thinking about dropping into a local Runner's Room and inquiring about their programs or get some suggestions.

And, thank you! Sometimes I just need to hear that I'm a runner in order to continue to believe it.
    I'm slowly starting to feel better and am going to try jogging again this weekend. I want to get back on track.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Here's a quote I came across the other day:

“I often hear someone say I'm not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner." Bart Yasso

I've also been doing a lot of reading: "Born to Run" "Unbreakable" "Run Like a Mother" "To be a Runner" "Running the Edge" "101 Simple Ways to be a Better Runner" all of these help me develop the mindset + this Message Board is sooo inspiring and so is Happy Feet.

I'm doing a fitness challenge through my gym that helps keep me on track, but the real source of "what to do next" is Runners World. Their smartcoach program has set me up a schedule for the next three months and articles like this help me understand what to do with the schedule:

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/10-laws-injury-prevention

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/whats-difference-between-fartlek-tempo-and-interval-runs

Essentially, I'm using it as a general guide and when it says "easy run" then I'm going to run what feels like easy that day. When it has me doing speedwork, I'm probably going to do fartleks if I'm outside and whatever interval it has down when I'm inside. I'm going to do whatever mileage it has me down for as well. It's less than what I planned to do on my own.

The reality though, for us middle of the packers, is that we mostly just need to keep running. Lots and lots of easy runs. Lots and lots and lots of them. Just like all the speedsters that start C25k, you're probably doing too much with what you're doing right now :) I'd definitely reach out to some other runners. And you should sign up for a 5k - I know you've been putting that off :)
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Great job! That makes me want to cry with you.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, Vardaeml.. I want to look at that site and links later. I've got to go out for my run now.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    And you should sign up for a 5k - I know you've been putting that off :)

This is so true. :D I have been putting it off. I will add it to the list of things to discuss when I go to The Runner's Room. I need new shoes, too, now that I'm starting to run outdoors.

Thanks for the tips and links!!!