Periods

Options
gatorginger
gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
Before I started on MFP my periods were every couple of months but once I lost the pounds I haven't had any more periods so I'm wondering if it is because I lost too much body fat or if it was time for mine to stop. I haven't had a period in a year . How do you know if you lost too much body fat. I did lose 22 pounds in 5 months time. I wasn't trying to lose 22 pounds in the beginning I would have been happy with 5 pound lose but since joining here I was able to lose more than I ever thought I could. I was reading somewhere that your period might stop because you lost too much weight. I am 5'3" and now weigh 125 pounds so I don't feel like I'm too thin. I will be seeing my gynocologist in August but was curious about this. Any advice?

Replies

• kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How old are you? I think it was probably just time for them to stop.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    I'm 51, I have a family doc appt next week so I might see if they can tell me if I lost too much fat.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you eating? When I dropped down to 1200, my period stopped for 3-4 months. It came back when I upped my calories to 1500
  • gatorginger
    Options
    I eat between 1600 and 1700 now
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i find if i do extreme exercise, i get 2 periods a month,,,, so i slacked off, i am big into cardio
    i like to do 2 to 3 hours a day.
  • susanhardt
    susanhardt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you are 51, it is the time that they just stop:smile:
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies