Dead lift warmup sets

Options
Slamdunkpro
Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
Hi all,

Is anyone doing dead lift warm up sets? I've been doing 2 - 135x5 and 185x5 then moving to the work weight but man am I tired after. Am I doing too many?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    You should be pretty warmed up already from squats; so for me, I typically only do 2-3 reps per warm up set, mainly just to make sure my form is good with lighter weight. I am still early on into the training that the weight has not been too much to complete the 1x5 that the program calls for, so I am doing either 5x5 or 3x5 on them too. Just depends on energy level at that time since its the last of my lifts for the workout.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    It kinda depends on what your working weight is. If you're doing a 5 rep set closer to your working weight then you will be tired. I use the starting strength app to calculate out my warmup sets and seems to be working for me.

EX last deadlift set at 285

2x5 @135
    1x5 @ 185
    1x3 @225
    1x1 @ 255
    then 1x5 @ 285

I think its all going to be relative to what your working weight is. If you're doing a 5 rep set at 185 and your work weight is 205 then you'll probbably be pretty tired. I know I would be if I was to do 5 reps at 255
  • Slamdunkpro
    Options
    It kinda depends on what your working weight is. If you're doing a 5 rep set closer to your working weight then you will be tired. I use the starting strength app to calculate out my warmup sets and seems to be working for me.

2x5 @135
    1x5 @ 185
    1x3 @225
    1x1 @ 255
    then 1x5 @ 285

I think its all going to be relative to what your working weight is. If you're doing a 5 rep set at 185 and your work weight is 205 then you'll probbably be pretty tired. I know I would be if I was to do 5 reps at 255
    Thanks - You mention the SS app - as in phone app or the spreadsheet?
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

2x5 @135
    1x5 @ 185
    1x3 @225
    1x1 @ 255
    then 1x5 @ 285

I happened to re-watch the instructional video this morning and this is what they say to do.
  • RunDoozer
    Options

2x5 @135
    1x5 @ 185
    1x3 @225
    1x1 @ 255
    then 1x5 @ 285

Thanks - You mention the SS app - as in phone app or the spreadsheet?

The phone app. I think on the Iphone it's 99 cents pretty sure there is an Android version too. That way I can just have it right in front of me at the gym and theres no guess work. Since its based of starting strength and not stronglifts the difference would be that it has cleans instead of Rows in it but I still use that part for warm ups for it and it seems fine.
  • Slamdunkpro
    Options
    Downloaded it. Seems like a lot of warm ups to then go into a 5x5 at the work weight. but I'll find out tomorrow.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    Downloaded it. Seems like a lot of warm ups to then go into a 5x5 at the work weight. but I'll find out tomorrow.

Can I ask what weights your currently using? it may be a bit much until you get to the higher weights. But I find it necessary otherwise its just too much of a shock to my body and I feel like Im going to hurt myself otherwise.
  • Slamdunkpro
    Options
    I'm only at 225 right now. I'd been doing 2x5 @135 then 1x5 @ work weight but as I got closer to 200+ I wanted to add an intermediate step so I went to 1x5 @185 but that seems to be a lot.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    I'm only at 225 right now. I'd been doing 2x5 @135 then 1x5 @ work weight but as I got closer to 200+ I wanted to add an intermediate step so I went to 1x5 @185 but that seems to be a lot.

doing 5 that close to your working weight will wear you out. I just looked at the app for your working weight and it seems like it should help doing 2x5 at 95 instead of @ 135 and then only 3 reps at 165 so you shouldnt be as worn out.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I changed the order of the workout around and do my deadlifts right after squats, so I'm already warmed up. I'll do a few reps of 145 just to practice the motion. (I have a bar loaded up with a 25lb bumper plate on each end that I use as my base weight for rows and presses, I'll throw a 25lb plate on each side for warmups).

This week I added in a single rep of 315, since my work weight was 365. I'll keep that warmup in there now.

For someone doing 225, 5 reps of 185 is too many. Just do your 2 sets of 5 of 135 and then 1 rep of 185 to feel the heavier weight.

A great powerlifter once gave me some fantastic advice on warmups. He said that people tend to burn themselves out on the warmup sets and then don't have enough gas left in the tank for their heavy work sets, where the real gains are made.

Here's what I always did for warmups for each lift back when I was going heavy, based on that advice and warmup scheme he gave me.

I always jump up in increments of adding either a 45lb plate or a 25lb plate to each side. No messing with little plates.

Bench
    bar x20- this gets everything loose and the blood pumping
    95x10- a little more loosening up
    135x5
    185x3
    225x3
    275x1
    315x1 and after that, more singles until I'd get to 50lbs of my work weight. The singles help you feel the heavier weights but don't expend too much energy.

Squats- similar setup
    135x8
    185x5
    225x3
    275x3
    315x1
    365x1
    405x1 etc.
    When I was at my peak, I'd just go up by big plates, 135, 225, 315, 405 then add the 25's into the mix.

Deads, I have a bar setup with 100's on each side. I'd do a set of 135x8 on my row/press bar, then jump to the bar with 245 and do 5 reps, then singles up to my work weight from there.

Even now, that I'm lifting a lot less than I used to, I still use this same warmup method. Last squat workout, my weight was 330. My warmups were 135x8, 185x5, 225x3, 275x1, then my work weight of 330x5x5
    Bench I'm at 180lbs, so I did bar x 20, 95x10, 135x5, then my work weight of 180x5x5. Once I get to 200lbs on bench I'll do 1 rep of 185. When I get to the upper 200's, I'll do 185x3, 225x1 then my work sets.

The bottom line is, don't spend too much time and energy on heavier warmups. If you need to get a feel for what your work weight is, just do singles til you get there. It really helped me out.Sometimes in this type of routine that is more volume, its helpful to take a last warmup with your work weight, just 1 rep, to understand how the weight will feel.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ... I use the starting strength app to calculate out my warmup sets and seems to be working for me.

I tried that Starting Strength Warmup app this morning with my Squats/Overhead presses/Deadlifts. It used more sets/reps for warmup than I had been using by just winging it. I like the structure that it brings to my warmups. Thanks for the tip.
  • Slamdunkpro
    Options
    ... I use the starting strength app to calculate out my warmup sets and seems to be working for me.

I tried that Starting Strength Warmup app this morning with my Squats/Overhead presses/Deadlifts. It used more sets/reps for warmup than I had been using by just winging it. I like the structure that it brings to my warmups. Thanks for the tip.

I think it's a good app for deadlifts and maybe squats, it seems a little complex for Bench and rows and if I do all the warm ups for OHP I've got nothing left in the tank for the work weight. It's clearly geared for 3x5 vs 5x5. I'll get there someday