High Blood Sugars and Being Sick

Options
emboss03
emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
Does anyone else experience high blood sugars when they are sick? I'm T2 and I have bronchitis right now.... I've had FBS in the 200s and before/after meal BS in the 190-235s. I've called my doc and he says to just ride it out until I'm over it. I can't go on steroids for the bronchitis because of the already high numbers. It's viral so antibiotics won't do anything. I've been drinking a ton of water and watching my carb intake as much as I can.

Anyone have good suggestions as to how to lower the blood sugar (or get over the bronchitis faster)???? Normally, my FBS is less than 110 and my before/after meals BS is 140-160. I take Lantus 22 units at bedtime and metformin 1000 mg twice a day and onglyza 5mg once a day.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it is very common for blood sugars to go up during sickness. They will go back down once the virus runs it's course. As you've already said you're doing- drink lots of water, rest and keep your carbs down as much as possible.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • emboss03
    Options
    Thanks. I've been T2 for about 5 1/2 years and I've never experienced this long of high BS when I've been sick. I've been a lot worse and my high BS usually lasts a day or two. This time I'm going on two weeks!!! Just super frustrating... hopefully they go down soon.
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Have you tried acupuncture? Studies have shown that it does help with opening lungs (successful with people with asthma) and while it does not report "curing" diabetes it does seem to help with pain management and blood sugars?

When I feel a cold coming on I call up my acupuncturist ASAP so that we can do a treatment which usually release sinus congestion and helps open up lungs for productive coughing.....at least this is what I have found to date that is working for me.....

I also invested in a cool mist humidifier which I only fill with distilled water.......
  • emboss03
    Options
    The day after I typed this, my blood sugars went down..... Gotta love it when that happens. Thanks for the advice though!
  • lamourlady
    Options
    I was just reading an article and it stated that when our bodies are fighting infection it may spike our blood sugar. This isn't the same one, but it confirms your suspicions.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/diabetes-colds