Feeling a bit discouraged

Options
The last couple of days, I haven't felt well. Not ill, but not well, either. My energy levels are low and I'm at a weight stall.

Plus that bread is looking pretty darn yummy. I haven't had any, but it looks delicious.

Today is day 9 on keto.

Oh, and today is my daughter's birthday. Of course there will be cake and ice cream, which I can and will resist, but as a sort of tradition for each family member's birthday, they can choose their dinner. She wants loaded baked potatoes. That one will be tough.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    8 pounds in 9 days??? Do you know how awesome that is?

Are you supplementing your minerals? On low carb, we lose potassium, sodium and magnesium. This can cause tiredness, fatigue, muscle cramps. That's part of why we need so much water to flush these out. But you need to replenish these. Try a cup of broth and see if that doesn't help. You may want to change to lite salt to make sure you get the potassium and try something like slo-mag to get the magnesium.

Hold strong! Have some almonds available, along with dark chocolate (I ALWAYS have these out when we have people over). Sure, we put out cheese and crackers and carby food too for guests, but we always have safe items too.
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options
    I went shopping and loaded up on broccoli and other low carb veggies I can enjoy (in moderation) to dip in Ranch.

I bought some magnesium today, and I'll cut the pill for now and work up my amounts.

My supplements: fish oil, B, C, Iron, multivitamin, calcium/D. These are the ones my doctor asked me to take ages ago. I'm on a few other Rx drugs, as well, that I will never be able to stop. I take a BP med, which I hope to stop.

I have been adding *some* salt to things, but I definitely have room for improvement there. Same with "fake" salt.

Off to eat a pastrami, cheese, and mayo lettuce wrap...
  • LoveCincy
    LoveCincy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hang in there you've done great! For some stupid reason I had a 1/2 a cup of rice yesterday and boy did I feel crappy when I woke up. I feel very bloated and put on a pound. So it definitely wasn't worth it! Funny thing is that I wasn't even really craving it, I was just curious how it would affect me.

Lesson learned and I'll be back on the wagon today.
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit late for this thread (and I don't know much about the Keto diet or how similar it is to Atkins), but if there's an event then I usually make sure I have a treat to enjoy, too. It needs to be manageable! For example, Easter's coming up this weekend and my boyfriend's brother always makes amazing blueberry cheesecake, but I'm going to have to resist this year, so instead I'm making Jody's Pumpkin Bake--tastes like a mix between cheesecake and pumpkin pie and it's SO delicious. Hope this helps in the future!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    BP, it takes weeks for your body to fully adapt and adjust. Heck, 50% of people are still complaining of "carb Flu" at this point. So you are ahead.

Don't be discouraged and don't give in. My theorem is that if you have to have a break down I'd rather blow out the calories with fat than blow out the carbs and stay within my calorie goals.

Calories reset themselves every day but a carb-out can stay with me for days and lead to even worse behaviors.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Starting out on keto isn't always easy. Through my personal experience I have seen my weight go up and down a bit on a daily basis (I've had up to 4 pounds daily variance, but usually it's within 2) and I've had stalls of up to 2+ weeks, but I'm still losing every month (since December I'm losing 5.4 pounds per month on average). If you make healthy food choices, stay under on calories and exercise the weight will drop more eventually.

I second what kiramaniac said about making sure you are getting potassium. I've read about people on low carb. having problems with not getting enough, so I take a potassium supplement.

Maybe for the loaded baked potato party you could make mashed cauliflower for yourself and put the toppings on that instead of a baked potato. The great thing about keto is you can eat all those delicious toppings like bacon, cheese, full fat sour cream, butter, etc. and still stay on diet.

You are off to a great start!