Quick question about C25K

Options
marinadanielle
marinadanielle Posts: 127 Member
I asked this question on the general fitness board, before I realized there was a dedicated C25K group!

I started the C25K program maybe a month ago, and because I'm super out of shape, I'm still only on week 2. I've been fairly consistent, but there was a week in there where I didn't run at all because of my shins (I was afraid it was a stress fracture but I found out yesterday that it's probably only a shin splint). Anyway, what I've noticed is that mentally, and physically somewhat as well, the hardest part for me is starting an interval and thinking "oh crap, I have 7 more of these (week 1) or 5 more of these (week 2). Once I get going, I can normally push myself to keep running, although it is still very difficult. I had the idea that instead of doing week 2 a second and third time, that maybe I could move to week three and stay there for 3 weeks instead, and just gradually build up from doing half of it (one 90 second running interval, and one 3 minute running interval), to doing the full four intervals and just use that as a starting point, since mentally telling myself "4 intervals" is a lot less stressful than 8 or 6. Is this a bad idea or am I at a higher risk for injury if I do this, or does this seem like a good plan. I'd really appreciate any help!

Replies

• wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    First off, go get fitted for the proper shoes. That will greatly reduce your shin issues. Best thing I ever did related to running. Second, and by far the best advice I can give anyone starting out: SLOW DOWN. If you're struggling with an interval, slow down. You'll be amazed the difference slowing your pace a bit can make. Once you've found a comfortable pace, you'll progress through the days and weeks fine.
  • marinadanielle
    Options
    I actually just got new running shoes maybe 3 weeks ago. My old ones were killing me, and we discovered it was because they'd been sitting in my closet for over a year and the padding had broken down. They told me to give my new ones 4-6 weeks to help correct my shin issues, but so far they haven't gone away. I do need to slow down though. Normally I start slow but speed up when I see 3 year olds/older people vastly outpacing me and putting me to shame, so I need to learn a consistent pace. Concerning moving directly to Week 3 though, would that be a good idea?
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    If you can slow down and complete week 2 day 3 comfortably, then yes, move on.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Do you listen to music while doing your workout? I'm thinking you need to distract yourself from thinking about the 7 or 8 more you have left to do. It's why I can't run on a treadmill very well. I can cover up the numbers, but they are still there bothering me. With the app timer going, I put it in a pocket and just don't look at it.
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday. I did W1D1 yesterday and W1D2 today. I did a lot of reading before starting and one of the first thing it tells you is if you can run slower then you are your running to fast. I run at 4-4.2 mph and I walk at 2.5-3.1. Just remember as long as your walking you moving forward more then you ever were on the couch. Keep up the good work. For my workout in the 30 minutes on both days average heart rate was 137 and I burned an average of 400 calories in the 30 minutes of each workout.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    check your shoes
    slow down
    DO NOT heal strike
    watch your form lean from the ankles not the waist
    breath in threw the nose out threw the mouth
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was running at about 3.0 at that point in the program - no faster than my walk. I second everybody's advice to slow down. My rule of thumb is that if you've finished a day, you are ready for the next day. The program is set up that way.

Also, it really seems like you are struggling with the mental side of running. You need to learn not to think about the intervals or how long you have left. Just let your app tell you when to run, when to walk and when you are finished. Concentrate on your breathing, on your form, on making it to the next tree or mailbox, or what song you think is coming up next.

Yes, it is a struggle to keep running. It's a bit of a struggle for everybody, including elite athletes, especially for the first 10 minutes. It's your body's way of trying to hold on to important stores of fat. If you keep running, you learn that it's just part of the game and running will begin to feel good later in the session, so it's worth working through.

Let me be a little scary here: this isn't a 9 week program. It's a rest-of-your-life program. Once you complete these nine weeks for the first time, you have the ability to be a runner for the rest of your life.
  • marinadanielle
    Options
    Thank you all for all of your suggestions, sorry it took me so long to reply. I definitely think I have a huge mental block when it comes to running, most likely because I've NEVER been athletic or in shape, so by default I think I can't do it. As well, the friend I run with tends to run too quickly, and even though I tell her we should be at a conversational pace, I unconsciously end up trying to keep up with her. I slow down when I realize what I'm doing, but by then I've already burned myself out. For the first time, I'm truly determined to complete the program, but I feel like such a failure when I stop running and then hear the prompt to walk only 5 seconds later and starting thinking "If I'd only not been such a wimp for a few more seconds, I would've actually accomplished it. That interval probably doesn't even count" which just makes me feel worse. I'll definitely try to not overthink (for once!) and slow down and just let the app guide me [:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    All the intervals count, silly. You put your shoes on and got your butt out the door. That's a huge win.

I think we've all had the experience of not being able to make it and then hearing the prompt go off. What that means is that you are within 5 seconds of achieving your next goal. You'll absolutely do it in your next run.

Most of us have or had a huge mental block when it came to running. I think 75% of this people on the board are trying the program out because "if it would work for me, it'll work for ANYBODY." The rest of them used to run and are getting back into it.

I'm glad that you've figured out to slow down and go at your pace. Like a lot of things you'll learn from running, the lesson applies to the rest of your life. You can run at your pace and succeed or you can work a lot harder at somebody else's speed :)
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No expertise in my opinions but I have liked using the c25k app on my andriod for this because I can have my pandora playing and it just dings in and says run or walk when it is time. No hassles, thinking, timing or gearing myself upor syching myself out..also good tunes. Secondly I saw a commercial for a fitness shoe insert by Dr. Scholls yesterday I think they are $17 and on the scholls website it says it replaces you shoes insoles is designed to minimize shin splints and there is a $5 coupon. I am going to check them out on payday I bet Walmart will have them.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I start w4d1 tonight of my c25k and I am pretty sure I will have to slow down in order to do the intervals. As far as other people running beside you on the treadmill, don't worry too much about their pace. They have probably been running for some time and are comfortable running xx distance. I have to remind myself of that as well. If you are running outside, I would suggest a partner. I ran with my husband the other night (most of the routine anyway) and him beside me pushed me farther than I had ever gone.
  • cherry5oda
    cherry5oda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I understand it correctly, you're thinking of skipping Week 2 and doing half sets of Week 3 instead? I would advise against it. The way it is scheduled, you are moving for about 20 minutes each session (not counting warm-up/warm-down walks). To do a half set of week 3 is only 9 minutes. If you want to move on to Week 3 prematurely, see if you can do W3D1 entirely. If not, go back to the most advanced run that you can complete fully, even if that's only Week 1.

Don't worry about repeating weeks to get used to the exertion, I've had probably 3 repeated weeks and now I'm on week 7. It's all gradual and slow.
  • marinadanielle
    Options
    Just a quick point to clarify! When I said I was going to do only half, I meant I was only going to do the first 1.5/3 minute runs, but continue walking the rest. I do my running at this golf course trail near my house, and the entire loop is almost 3 miles, so even when I finish the full day of running, I still have to walk another 1.5+ miles to my car (which is great in terms of keeping me moving, but not so fun when I'm dying and dehydrated and still have a mile to go!) So it'd be more like 5 min warmup, run 1.5 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes, run 3 minutes, walk 30 minutes. Not sure if that'll change any of the advice I've been receiving, but I just wanted to throw that out there so it wouldn't seem like I was turning around and going home after 9 minutes. [:

@Amy: Thank you for the suggestion about the insoles! I'll definitely have to look into it, because shin pain can definitely be a bit of a hindrance!

I'll try to slow down and stick with week 2 and see if I can eventually tell my mind to shut up and just push through without thinking about how many intervals I have left. I really want to finish and I already know what 5K I want to do as my first, so hopefully I can make it through this! My doctor is also having me test out an inhaler when I run (we're not sure if I do in fact have asthma so it's a trial period) so hopefully that'll help me not feel like I'm going to pass out when I run!