Don't know what to do!!!

Options
UUgghh !! Well anyways yesterday morning I woke up in terrible pain,thought my chest was going to explode..It actually woke me from sleep..By 8:30 I wanted to cry..It hurt so bad..I went to the emergency room and the doctor said it is a gall bladder attack..
He gave me painkillers and ordered an ultrasound..
Is it normal to get gallstones with a ketogenic diet,,he says that might be why..
I really hope not cause I have been working so hard at this lately..Been drinking my 8 glasses of water a day...
Another thing is I have no large bowel..I had ulcerative colitis and had it removed 10 years ago..
So should I be drinking more water maybe?
And because of this attack,should I just drink liquids for a couple days?
The doctor says I should go off This diet,,But in all honesty I don't want to..
I have more energy now,,starting to sleep better,,Even my hot flashes are dwindling down if that makes sense..
I am just upset and discouraged thats all:)))

Replies

• turbojam_rocks
    turbojam_rocks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    thank-you so much for the information:)
    I will wait it out and see what happens ..And also stay with high fat low carb:)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Can you possibly get your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist (preferably one who has worked with people with similar medical issues and who isn't horrified at the mere thought of a low carb diet)?
  • turbojam_rocks
    turbojam_rocks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing today..A nutritionist would be able to help me alot better I think..
    Thank-you:smile:
  • aebeman
    aebeman Posts: 3
    Options
    Gallbladder attacks are the worst, aren't they? When I was at the height of them, supplementing with organic apple cider vinegar in water before meals helped. I couldn't take having the possibility of an attack hanging over my head and suffering through the attacks was terrible. I finally had it taken out. No issue with keto for me without one. Good luck getting some answers!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You need to go to a surgeon and see about getting your gallbladder removed. It's not going to get better. Don't suffer for years with a diseased gall bladder. Until it is removed you will have to decrease your fat intake or you will continue to suffer attacks. Those attacks are very bad on your pancreas.

Until then, eat very bland foods. As little fat as possible. Follow the gallbladder diet to reduce the risk of an attack.
  • Asphere79
    Asphere79 Posts: 41
    Options
    From what I understand, 8 cups is what a normal person maintaining their weight should drink. If you are losing weight you need more. I drink 2-3 times that.
  • taxprep_99
    taxprep_99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Turbo-Jam: I had emergency gall bladder surgery when I was three months pregnant. It was a life/death situation. My relief was pretty instant after the surgery (other than the natural healing phase) but overall, incredible compared to how I was feeling with the spells and constant ER visits. (Baby came out perfect as well by the way when he was due). The same doctor that ordered this ER surgery was highly in support of low carb style diets. Doctors are human just like us and have their own opinions, so if you like the diet that you are on, maybe check in with another physician's opinion. Some doctor's are set in their ways so never hurts to check with others. Most importantly, make sure you are healthy. I did well on Atkins back then but went off of it and my weight gain back was not a result of "going off of a low carb diet", it was b/c I went off the diet and had no other plan and went back to my old, unhealthy ways. So this is round two for me and I hope I have the same success that I did years ago with it! Good luck!