Protein Powder

Options
13»

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I want to try Trutein, but I'm not sure about branching out to new flavors :) I currently use GNC AMP Wheybolic 60 in chocolate, and mix one scoop with milk. I love the taste, it tastes like delicious. LOL How is the chocolate truffle flavor? I went on the Trutein website and didn't see an option to order milk chocolate. Is there another place to get different flavors of it?

Milk chocolate was their worst flavor and was recently discontinued and replaced with chocolate truffle.

So you are saying to order the chocolate truffle? LOL

I haven't had it, but I'm hoping it's better than their old chocolate. Which, by the way, wasn't bad, it just didn't hold up to the other amazing flavors they have. But if you want a plain chocolate from them, it's your only choice ;)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Since we're on the subject ... and I'm new to the world of protein powders ... I find that the powder I'm using is messing with my plumbing in all kinds of exciting ways (and when I say "exciting" I mean "we are not amused" :grumble: ).

You think I'd do better with soy based protein?

I use Body Fortress, which is on the cheaper side, so my question is if my issue has anything to do with whey and whether I should switch to a whey isolate versus soy, or try a different brand first?

Trying to find a balance between my inner cheapskate and a decent protein supplement that's not going to mess with my plumbing, or my wallet, and that will get me off the stupid milk of magnesia because I'm not used to having to deal with all that and would rather not. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm unwilling to pay out the nose for protein powder.

Halp?

P.S. I'm cool sticking with vanilla or getting something flavlorless since I just mix it in with my iced coffee or yogurt or shakes/smoothies anyway.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Dani, try a different brand before giving up on whey-based powder altogether. Different brands may well affect you differently. I remember when I was reading about Dave Tate cleaning up his diet he had problems with some brands and after some trial and error found one that worked well.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Dani, try a different brand before giving up on whey-based powder altogether. Different brands may well affect you differently. I remember when I was reading about Dave Tate cleaning up his diet he had problems with some brands and after some trial and error found one that worked well.

^ Agreed.

I tried one brand from Sams Club a while back and I ended up giving it away to a friend. My stomach just couldn't handle it at all.

Trutein, ON, and Xtreme Formulations have all been quite easy on my system overall. Premier Nutrition (IIRC) was horrible.
  • DaniH826
    Options

Okay fair enough. I guess not all whey is created equal? The Body Fortress is just bent on hogging all the fluids I put into my system, it seems. I don't like sharing with hoggers. :huh:
    I tried one brand from Sams Club a while back and I ended up giving it away to a friend. My stomach just couldn't handle it at all.

Trutein, ON, and Xtreme Formulations have all been quite easy on my system overall. Premier Nutrition (IIRC) was horrible.

Oh good, glad to know there's others having to trial/error before they find a good fit for them. Thanks!!
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Since we're on the subject ... and I'm new to the world of protein powders ... I find that the powder I'm using is messing with my plumbing in all kinds of exciting ways (and when I say "exciting" I mean "we are not amused" :grumble: ).

You think I'd do better with soy based protein?

I use Body Fortress, which is on the cheaper side, so my question is if my issue has anything to do with whey and whether I should switch to a whey isolate versus soy, or try a different brand first?

Trying to find a balance between my inner cheapskate and a decent protein supplement that's not going to mess with my plumbing, or my wallet, and that will get me off the stupid milk of magnesia because I'm not used to having to deal with all that and would rather not. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm unwilling to pay out the nose for protein powder.

Halp?

P.S. I'm cool sticking with vanilla or getting something flavlorless since I just mix it in with my iced coffee or yogurt or shakes/smoothies anyway.

Isn't Body Fortress that cheap stuff that's sold at Walmart? You might want to try a better brand. This study has always concerned me about them: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE#gid=0

Basically, they found that Body Fortress only had half the protein that it was advertised to have. There's a lot of junk out there, I would stick with one of the major, respected brands. They are expensive but at least you can reasonably be certain that you're getting what you paid for.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Trutein is incredible, IMO.

Yes. It really is. Its freaking fantastic. Worth every penny. It mixes well with just water (or milk), it tastes GOOD without doctoring, and you can even stir it without a shaker. I was doing a scoop in water at my desk every morning and it was just fine. Delicious? Not quite as delicious as it would have been with milk but ..... yeah. Pretty good.

AND - you can order sample packets from their website (its a little bit hidden but its there) for 2 dollar each so you can taste all the flavors.

I just finished my tubs of chocolate covered strawberry and chocolate covered banana (Both of which they discontinued, ARGH) and now we've got a tub of cinnabun and chocolate covered peanut butter.

I do recommend getting 2 flavors to switch between, otherwise you might get bored, but yeah. Its got a lot of hype but its all true. Its good stuff.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Just decided to order some trutein since everyone is raving about it, and the pumpkin pie sounds amazing. I LOVE PUMPKIN PIE!! But alas, it's on back order (well, from bodybuilding). Hopefully the chocolate peanut butter cup and cinnabun are good.

ETA: Damn, just checked the actual trutein site, and they have it. Shouldn't have looked to save $3...

Buy some for MEEEE audii! I wanted some but my husband hates pumpkin flavored stuff and since I have to share with him I avoided it. You can enjoy it on my behalf.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Isn't Body Fortress that cheap stuff that's sold at Walmart?

Basically, they found that Body Fortress only had half the protein that it was advertised to have. There's a lot of junk out there, I would stick with one of the major, respected brands. They are expensive but at least you can reasonably be certain that you're getting what you paid for.

It is.

I gotta tell you though, I'm approaching this subject extremely conservatively because far as I know the protein powder industry is unregulated, and hell if I'm going to overpay on (or ingest too much of) something that for all I know could have a bunch of bird poo mixed in it.

Not that I trust the FDA much either :huh: ... just sayin.

Hence the asking for advice here. So much conflicting information out there, I prefer asking people who still have some common sense. :bigsmile:
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    I prefer asking people who still have some common sense. :bigsmile:

Oh, my bad. I will leave the conversation then :P
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I prefer asking people who still have some common sense. :bigsmile:

Oh, my bad. I will leave the conversation then :P

Good call. :tongue:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    FWIW my favorite tasting on is Gaspari Myofusion Milk Chocolate. I liked it better than Trutein chocolate. I hear Trutein Chocolate Peanut Butter is the best thing ever, but I'm weird and like to only get regular old chocolate.

My favorite used to be Myofusion chocolate too, but they discontinued it and replaced it with a probiotic series that wasn't as good. So I switched to trutein.

Hmm, I'm somewhat confused now. I know the first time I has Myofusion it was The Greatest Thing ever. Can't remember if it was the probiotic series or not. Then I got Trutein due to it's reputation and it was good, but I didn't love it as much as the myofusion. But then when I switched back, it tasted different, which I assumed was due to me getting used to Trutein. After like a week or two, I'm back to again thinking it's the greatest thing ever.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    If you live near a hyvee (midwest mostly) there protein brand is NNW. Best tasting and best mixing protein I've ever had. Several flavors to choose from. I have not been able to find it online anywhere so I go there like once a month since it's the only thing I buy there.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for the insight, looks like the best (for tummy and overall) protein powders are only available in the US...bummer! Will have to keep trying the duds here to get a good one.
  • Anzsjela
    Anzsjela Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No freaking Trutein in Canada grrrrr
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Trutein is pure and balanced, you can't get much better than that. It's combination of fast, medium, and slow burning proteins help regulate your metabolism and keep essential amino acids in your system throughout the day. I tried it on recommendation and I can't say enough good things about it. As a bonus, because of it's blend of proteins instead of just being made out of whey, it is one of the best choices for baking high-protein items like protein cheesecakes and breads.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking as I think (hope) you have got some decent input and to help us track open/active threads better. If you want to add anything, please PM either myself or SideSteel, including the link, and we will reopen.
This discussion has been closed.