New to paleo

Options
Mickeyjenny85
Mickeyjenny85 Posts: 48 Member
Hi I'm new to paleo lifestyle and I would like to get some few tips on how to start it...

Thanks,
Mickey

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple. Eat whole, natural, healthy foods. Exclude grain, legumes, dairy (I allow some dairy personally), refined vegetable oils, artificial sweeteners, sugar, processed food in general. Also, many people benefit from limiting fruit. Some people also limit nuts (remember, peanuts are a legume), but I have no issue with them but the majority are raw and unsalted (I don't mind natural sea salt but choose to buy foods that don't have table salt already added).

For me, I choose a high fat, low carb form of this lifestyle. Most of my fats come from animals, coconut, avocado, nuts, olive oil, etc. The fats help with eliminating health issues that I couldn't get rid of any other way. Such as severe depression, anxiety, craving/binging, pre diabetes etc.

There are lots of sources online and in books about this lifestyle. Just search "Paleo" or "Primal". The Dr. Weston Price organization is extremely informative. www.marksdailyapple.com is a good site as well. And look up the Whole30. I don't "do" Whole 30 myself because the changes I make are permanent change and I worry that being super strict for a whole month will back fire after I'm done (it has for a few of my friends). However, I also don't agree with regular "cheating" on Paleo/primal. I don't think eating 80% Paleo and 20% junk makes much sense, but that's just me. Since wheat causes inflammation in the tiniest of amounts, I don't really understand why people keep it in their diet.

My diary is always open. Like everyone, I'm not perfect but I'm committed to logging and good health so I'm very honest in my diary. My access to healthy foods is somewhat limited due to living in a very isolated place but I do ok considering.

Also, this lifestyle is permanent for me. I changed because I finally got sick of being sick (and dying) and decided that I deserve to have a decent quality of life. I don't think this lifestyle is effective for people who just want to lose weight and then resume their previous diet after after losing x pounds.
  • Mickeyjenny85
    Mickeyjenny85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the info.i just ordered everyday paleo book ...I'm planning to have a coffee everyday:smile:
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I agree! Also check out "the paleo diet" by Loren Cordaine. It jump started my lifestyle change to paleo. If you'd like to educate yourself on why certain foods are not good for you, look up "Forks over knives" and "king corn" on Netflix.
  • jaceface87
    jaceface87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just dive in! I've been Paleo for almost 9 months and I still learn something everyday! You will get addicted to learning new things. It's definitely about the journey and not the destination. but it's the best decision I ever made in my life. I feel a million times better. Good luck. :)
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    A Swedish doctor, Andreas Eenfeldt has a set of videos in English on youtube, as well as a webpage, dietdoctor.com.
    Put "Eenfeldt" into the search box. He also has interviews with the founding mothers and fathers of the Paleo movement.

There is also a set of videos from the "Ancestry Foundation", which had a conference in the fall of 2012.

I also recommend paleohacks.com. They have a page for nearly every question I've ever put into the search box on my browser.
    And when you search, put the word "Paleo" in the box, too.

There is also a "getting started' string on the Paleo webpage.

Best wishes!