Nuts -nay or yay?

Options
Hey everyone! I just started Paleo today and was wondering about nuts. This is specifically for those who were initially trying to lose weight on the Paleo. I would like to continue a Paleo lifestyle after I lose weight but for now, I really want to lose extra pounds I've put on. When you were focusing on losing weight, did you complete eliminate nuts or did you just restrict the amount (and how much?) I bought packets of almonds from trader joe's that are 1.5 oz so I am thinking of using those as an indicator to not go over! I am crazy over nuts and I know I can overdo it so i don't want that to sabotage my weight loss. Thanks!! :)

Replies

• hopeful0131
    Options
    I do consume nuts and nut butters, but I will tell you it is VERY easy to over-do it! Try to make sure they are plain, raw -- not roasted or salted. It is (generally) a lot easier for people to put down the nuts and walk away, when they are plain. Robb Wolf encourages us to take that a step further, and eat nuts that we have to actually remove the shell from. This slows down your eating, giving our satiety signals more time to kick in.

Just don't sit down at the end of a long day with an entire bag of nuts, or an entire jar of nut butter. It's not a good idea. Trust me. ;)
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I eat Pistacios - the only nut I'm not allergic too. But I don't eat alot, I might have a handful for snack every few days, or throw some shelled ones on my salad.
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I started as "yay" but quickly turned to "nay" when I realized how many calories I was consuming in one sitting. In moderation, they are fantastic, but they are a trigger food for me, so I usually avoid them.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    For me they are a yay. They are not a trigger food for me. I can count out 20 to 25, or grab a small handiful. They tend to be a great snack (healthy fat and protien). But I could see how they could easily be a nay if you overdo it. The portion control packets sound like a great idea.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My tastebuds say yay! Although sometimes my tummy says nay. :(

I do agree with the other posters, raw nuts are best. I can portion out a small amount of raw almonds to keep hunger at bay in a pinch. Cashews and pistachios are another story. Once I start eating them I can't stop.

Since you're new to paleo, I wouldn't worry too much about nuts if its helping you get through the initial cravings and weirdness of eating this way, but after a few months, if you're not seeing the weightloss that you want (if in fact that is your goal, and for a lot of people it is), try to scale back on them and see if it makes a difference.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't just luuurve them, so it's not hard for me to stop eating them. I like to use them in situations where i need something quick because I won't have time to eat during my workday, or I need to supplement my fat or protein intake a bit because my lunch isn't quite filling enough or what have you. I also despise raw nuts, so I tend to eat the dry roasted ones. sometime with, sometimes without salt. A handfull of almonds/cashews/mixed seeds can be a lifesaver when used appropriately.
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Love nuts! Couldn't live without them. My favorite are dry-roasted, salted macadamia nuts. I have a scale on my counter, and I measure out 30g and put them in a snack bag to take with me as part of my breakfast. If I don't have them on any given day, I feel like something is missing!

BTW, if you have an auto-immune disease, I believe the advice is to not eat nuts, but that's something you should research if it suits you.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I always measure the cashews I eat, but I find that the protein and fat really fill me up. I have a hard time overdoing it. But like anything, make sure you are not eating from the container and always be aware of your portions.