joining this group to be around my kind!

Options
October 23, 2012 at 5 foot 8 and a half I weighed 145 pounds. I am 25 and female, have 3 young children,, have a small frame, and my weight goes straight to my thighs and belly. So 145 pounds did not look good on me. If I loaded my belly with water or food, and don't suck in my belly, I easily looked 5 months pregnant, not fat pregnant. As I said, I have small arms, you can see my collar bones, have narrow hips, narrow waist, so the weight just goes out in from some how, from the back i always look tiny. I have the strangest body lol.

Anyways, I am a cocktail server 4 nights a week, so when i sit on my butt and don't work that day, I can eat 1800 without working out to maintain. On working days i can eat 2200 to maintain. I want to get to 120 pounds.

Back to my story (lol wow can't stay on track) Ocotber 23, 2012 I starting eating 1200 calories a day, and riding my exercise bike an hour a day 5-7 times a week burning 500-600 calories. And lets not forget my active job. it was so hard to start this right before halloween..i cheated a little with the candy a few days before and after...still by november 12..20 days later i was down 7 pounds....so i was 138. Then a week and a half later came thanksgiving and that 4 day weekend i binged like crazy, still though december 10, i weighed 130.8...so i had lost almost 15 pounds in less than 2 months with plently of cheating. A few days later I started to worry thanks to 1200 calorie haters, that my body would go into starvation mode. I decided to take a break from my diet, it was almost christmas right?? for 2 weeks I ate like an average just got off a diet deprived american, and to top it off it was chirstams time so cookies galore. The first week on january i weighed 138 pounds...from then up til today i have narrowed it down to about 133-134...just from yo-yo dieting. I should have never listened to other people, and I should have kept doing the 1200 a day because losing almost 15 pounds in less than 2 months, with cheating, means I was doing something right!

However I still am a little worried though about my body going into starvation mode...but I only have 13-14 pounds I want to lose...so I am hoping to have that taken care of in 6-7 weeks. Is there anyone that can calms my worries and share ongoing weight loss with 1200 calories? did you exercise? how long have you been eating 1200 a day? thanks :)

Replies

• cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group, because I'm sick and tired of the non-1200 calorie people talking about things they do not understand. I have been at 1200 calories for about 2 months (started at 1310 for the first 2 weeks- so I've been on MFP for 2 1/2 months). I look at it this way. Do you have a hungry feeling when you go to bed? I know I don't. It's 10:45 my time right now, and I'm headed to bed soon. I am not the least bit hungry. The non-1200 calorie people think that all of us are completely naive when it comes to nutrition. I average around 70 grams per day (if not a LOT more). This helps you to feel fuller longer. I don't need the extra calories just so I can "eat what I want". I do eat what I want. If I want pizza, I plan for it. I do eat back my calories back from my exercise. I know some people don't need to do that, but I definitely feel like I need the added energy from the extra calories. If I don't exercise, I don't need those "extra" calories.

I'm not tired, cranky, ect. I know that not everyone can do a 1200 calorie diet, but it's working for me!!! I've been on MFP for 2 1/2 months and I'm 2 lbs shy of 40lbs lost!!! I'm not changing what I'm doing since it's working for me.

Ok now that I'm done my rant, I'll reiterate my response to your question about starvation mode. Do you feel hungry at night when you go to bed? If not, then you are not going into starvation mood. If you are hungry every single night, then either 1) look at the type of foods that you are eating (protein and complex carbs help you feel full longer) and then 2) if you need to up your calories a bit to see if that helps or 3) save about 150 calories for an evening snack. It's all about how you feel during the day. If you are struggling (after a week of trying 1200 cal), then maybe you just need extra calories. If not, then don't worry about starvation mode.