Bulk of calories in evening

Options
Cryck84
Cryck84 Posts: 24 Member
Hi ladies!
I have two or three snack-sized meals (150 cal or so) during the day and have a good, satisfying dinner. I find it's easier to tough it out during the day when I have distractions at work, and I drink lots of water, and I have a good dinner to look forward to.
Generally I also have calories left for a snack in the evening, too. I seem to be having good luck with this method. When I look online for pros and cons to this, there seems to be support on either side. Anyone else want to chime in?

I'm 5'8" and I am netting 1200 cal/day.

Replies

• cassondra1370
    cassondra1370 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm am following a similar routine. I eat about 200 at breakfast, 300 at lunch, a decent dinner, and room for snacks in the evening. If I don't do that, I have a VERY difficult time staying within my calories. I don't see anything wrong with it! :smile:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides. There seems to be some evidence that people lost more fat eating the bulk of their calories in the morning. Some evidence shows it's better to eat in "window" of 8 hours. I don't know, if it's working for you, then go with it, and if it stops working, switch it up, I spose.
  • tinah1126
    tinah1126 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think it has a lot to do with when you do your workouts or it does for me anyway. I eat about 200 at breakfast, 300-400 at lunch and the rest of my calories at dinner. I am also on a 1200 calorie day. I work out of the evenings so want to have some calories to fuel my workout. I am not a big eater of the mornings so this works out great for me. I started the 1200 calories on Feb 25th and as of today I am down about 12-13 lbs so I am pretty happy!! Hoping to be down 15 lbs by March 25th!!! Good luck!! If it aint broke..dont fix it!!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you're staying within your goal then it doesn't matter when you eat more or less of your calories. If this is working best for you, keep doing it :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I might have some coffee for breakfast or lunch but I only eat after 7pm
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I know it's the opposite of what we're usually told but I do it too. For me, it's because I can then share a meal with my boyfriend instead of being finished for the day when he still wants dinner! Less temptation if I'm still allowed a few hundred calories. And then I can cook for both of us at once.
  • jocomoso
    jocomoso Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    HI there, I am the same...! find it really hard to have a light dinner in the evening!
    but I must admit if I am cycling at lunchtime I need to make sure I have enough calories at breakfast so I don't faint!
    I want to lose 20 pounds before the summer, thank goodness for myfitnesspal - it's helping me to be super strict - i have been fooling myself for way too long!
    keep up the good work :-)
  • katjamila
    Options
    Like everyone else here I do the same. 200 for breakfast 300 for lunch and the remainder for dinner and snacks. I can't make it through the night any other way. I honestly don't think it matters as long as it is working for you.
  • Cryck84
    Cryck84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot, ladies! Glad I'm not alone. I also agree that on days I am exercising in the morning I need to add a bit of a boost to my calories. I find that having fewer calories during the day works better for me because I have a schedule to stick to, and then in the evening I don't have to just eat a salad while my boyfriend eats a whole delicious dinner!
  • Raeambi
    Raeambi Posts: 13
    Options
    I tend to eat most of my calories in the evening.. When I get up I have a nescafe cappachino (sachet, just add to water), and then I don't usually eat until I have something at 1pm. Most of what I eat is in the evenings, and I also don't have a time limit on when to stop eating, I let my self eat until bed if I want too. Its what I have always done and find it works best for me. For a while I did listen to the 'always eat breakfast rule' and I found it made me sluggish, bloated and throughout the full day all I did was eat so I went back to what my body finds best. Everybody is different, and as long as you stick to the calories in v's calories out rule, I don't think it matters what time you eat.
  • nascarfans
    nascarfans Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat very little for breakfast, but usually a fruit with a hard boiled egg to help keep me full, and something small for lunch 200-300 calories, mainly a salad, and then a decent dinner, with plenty left over for snacking at night which is my weak time and when my husband like to eat and I found that I can really stick to this plan, I received nutrition advice from my personal trainer and when I attempted to eat the way she advised, 6small meals ever 4hrs, I really hit a stand still on weight loss, so i am back to my usualy routine.