Metabolic Reset Help

Options
VeinsAndBones
VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
Hey I'm in a dilemma, first off I'm a dude 5ft 10.5in, 132.5lbs, at about 15% body fat and 17 1/3 years old, medium/smallish frame.... Ok here goes...

I'm a former crash dieter, I lost pretty much +/-100lbs in the span of about 6.5-7 months, my Testosterone levels are low, my albumin is high and my Gamma is also low my blood pressure is pretty low 94/56... Ok my intake has been anywhere from 900-1800 these past few months, I started out at about 227lbs with no real knowledge of how to lose weight so I just started doing P90x's Cardio X. I lost about 20lbs in about 2.5 months or so, then I started twice a day, obviously this only lasted about 2 weeks when my step bro (who's a beach body broscience coach -_-) showed up and started trying to get me to do "Insanity" which I did! I started doing that for about a month, (my intake here I have no idea what it was but it was LOW) then I got my first gym membership, Here's where it gets good... A half assed "trainer" gave me the advice to slash my calories to 1500, then take in less than 120g of carbs and less than 15g of fat.... So I followed his advice to the letter, often staying under the 120g of carbs and getting in close to 200g of protein (cheap protein shakes ect...). My energy had tanked in November of 2012 because I just wasn't seeing any results.... I was about 155-160lbs at this point. I maintained the diet however, Uber high protein and relatively low carb and virtually NO fat. Now I guess you could call me "anorexic" if you really wanted to, considering I'm .5lbs from being under weight now, but I'm trying to get in shape for Cycling... And that means eating more, ALOT more... So here's what I'm asking you guys, can you help me figure out my true TDEE (not just like Harris Benedict formula or anything) and get me on track to resetting my metabolism that way i can start EFFECTIVELY training? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY RESPONSES I know this was long, sorry =/ but again ANY help will be welcomed! (I am seeing a psychologist ^_^)

Replies

• colleen3115
    colleen3115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Since you have been underfed for so long, chances are your BRM is suppressed. If you have the money you might want to go get it tested. If you can't do that probably your best bet is to use heybales spreadsheet that takes measurements into account. For now focus on cleaning up your diet and adding in healthy fats. Be prepared to gain scale weight. It isn't a bad thing at this point. You need to feed your body and mind.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The spreadsheet will indeed help getting what potential BMR and TDEE could be. Forget the eating goal though, as it's a weight loss calc, and you need to gain.

But TDEE likely isn't that right now, you've lowered it.

My race weight in late 20's with 5% BF was 155. I can understand with cycling you may desire very little in upper body whereas i was doing tri's and swimming muscle was needed, but some is good, still gotta pull on handle bars too going up hill or sprinting to offset powerful legs.

Sadly, you don't have much leg muscle probably, and you'll be hard pressed (no pun intended) to build it up.

You don't have to lose weight, you need to gain smart.

So, best bet is to put in expected training time for lifting, and only brief biking. You need this for a month, and will benefit you more in your cycling in the long run, even short run possible.

Increase calories to your TDEE by doing 100 extra daily for a week at a time. And lift 3 x weekly heavy, using set x rep range 2 x 12-15 to benefit your endurance goal.

1 long slow ride on day before first lifting session, but you don't want to wear yourself out and ruin the lifting.

So even though your TDEE is probably suppressed at this time, and that extra food will be surplus, by doing lifting it'll be used for the muscles, which you need.

Once you reach estimated TDEE, then it's testing time, that's the only way YOU will be able to determine true TDEE, no one can do that for you.

Right now your TDEE is whatever you have been eating total on avg, if you have had no weight or inches lost for 3 weeks.

Once that month is done, still be good to keep 2 days lifting, and get to 3 days biking, in good order.
    At that time, with longer rides, it would be smarter to do the TDEE a different way, and only count 1 hr of any cardio into weekly TDEE, and eat anything in excess of 1 hr the day it's done.
    Deal with that at the time though.