Day 1 - owie ankles

Never having been a runner but needing to up my activity level, I've chosen C25K as that vehicle. Day 1 yesterday! I'm not sure what "speed" on the treadmill constitutes "jogging" so I went to what would probably be a fast walk for most but made me pick up my feet and jog. That was a '4' for me. My walk periods were a 3 to 3.2 (got faster the longer I went - I'm assuming the jogging speed will also increase as I acclimate). Before doing any jogging, I looked up some youtube vids on proper running form to, hopefully, start out with decent technique.

Major milestone for me to jog at all, so being able to do it in little chunks made it easy, even for me. Typically, I can walk briskly for about 2.5 miles before my feet start to hurt and I have to stop (and I mean hurt - balls of feet in agony). I'm hoping the gradual method of C25K will help (not-to-mention... losing weight will help *cough*).

About 10 minutes in my ankles were tweaking. I powered past that and kept going, hoping it's just my joints not used to getting much stress. I tried to "step lightly" and not pound on the treadmill.

Any suggestions for the ankle pain? I'm not swollen or anything, post exercise, so just curious.

Thanks much.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    You shouldn't be having any ankle pain. Do you have running shoes? Are they at least a size bigger than your normal street shoe size? It's generally a bad idea to run through pain. If if persists, you'll need to check with a doctor.

Don't worry about your speed. Slower is generally better through the program. If you are able to get through each of your run periods, then you are going about the right speed. If you start struggling, you'll need to slow down.

But, most importantly, GREAT JOB! That first day can be the hardest and it's a tremendous accomplishment to complete Day one.