Week 2 - Feeling fatigued

Options
LoveCincy
LoveCincy Posts: 17 Member
Hi All,
I'm on week two and I'm still doing good, I had a bit of a sweet craving yesterday and ate a piece of a dark chocolate/coconut bar and still stayed within my carb/fat/protein range. But I've noticed that I'm feeling really tired and a bit moody by the end of the day. I am thinking this is a bit of the 'keto flu' - I thought maybe I was lucky to skip this but not so.

The weight loss has certainly slowed down, but I'm OK with that as long as the trend keeps going down and not back up. I'd love to lose a pound a week if possible.

Did anyone else get this way? About how long should it last? I'm leaving for vacation soon and hope to be over this beforehand. I've read adding LOTS of fats during this time is helpful so I've been eating a few extra 'fat bombs' that I made last week and not worrying about the calories until I get over this.

Thanks for any ideas.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! (7 pounds! Awesome!)
    From the Reddit Keto FAQ
    During the induction phase of a Ketogenic Diet, most people experience a horrid “flu” that often makes people believe from the start that it isn’t right for our bodies. Consider it the first test in one of your many trials to come. The flu is a manifestation of your mental and physical dependence on carbohydrates and the body is essentially going through a phase where it has to learn to use fat as fuel.

Keto flu can be treated by replenishing your electrolytes. (See next section.)

The flu-like symptoms should dissipate in a few days or weeks. But be warned: For as long as you eat low-carb, if you don’t take care to get enough sodium, potassium and magnesium (a.k.a. electrolytes) in your diet, you may experience fatigue, muscle twitching, headaches, muscle cramping, and in severe cases, arrhythmia. Leg cramps may be the most common sign that your electrolytes are out of balance.

Try some chicken broth with some slo-mag (magnesium supplement). I'm trying dandelion root supplements for the potassium, but spinach, mushrooms, salmon and tomatoes are some other good ones (google if you're not sure - a few lists out there).
  • LoveCincy
    LoveCincy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great info, thanks Kira!

I've been taking some magnesium and drinking LOTS of water, but maybe I need to make sure I'm getting enough sodium and potassium.

:D