After all these years

ToniG50
ToniG50 Posts: 9 Member
:smile: Hi!
For about 10 years now I have little by little made my way to 137mg Synthroid. All of a sudden my TSH is 0.03 and a new physician is telling me I have been over medicated and dropped me to 125 after 2 months my TSH was 0.08 and now I am being dropped to 112 mg.

Has anyone ever had to go to a lower dose? I am starting to have hot flaashes again and am always cold. Could this be from changing dose?
Thanks and nice to meet everyone.
Toni

Replies

• Hi Toni,
    What time of the day are your blood tests done? I find my TSH will report lower(more hyper) if I have the test done in the afternoon...so I always go in the morning for the best results. I take my synthroid in the morning so

I had 95% of my thyroid removed in 1999, then it took 3 years before I was prescribed Synthroid...and then only .25mcg! It took years for me to get prescribed .125mcg but I still never felt good. Finally I convinced my doc to give me .150mcg, I told him I wanted to find out what was too much and it worked. I found out .150mcg was too much so we dropped it back to .137mcg and I finally feel normal...since 1999!

I had the hot flashes and was cold at .125mcg because it was just a smidge too little for me.

For me I need a good six months on a new dose to truly know where I will test! I think this doc is testing you too soon. What was your TSH on 137mg with your old physician? I hope they listen to you.

Rose
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    So Rose, you mean that if you get your TSH checked hours after taking your meds your TSH number comes back more hyper?

I'm still getting my meds regulated. Starting to get hypo again, as Dr dropped my dose last month. Its still coming in hyper, but not as much, which explains why I feel as I do.

I take my meds at midnight & go for my test at 9 am. So, what would happen if I took meds after my test? I'm not sure it goes up & down that much... takes so long for it to make changes.

I'm also thinking of going in for the test at 1 pm now, just found out they're open late, & that way I won't miss work.

Thanks!
    Debby
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Yes, I became hyper after 40 years of being hypo. It depends on what caused this to happen. In my case it was multi nodular toxic goiter and the little nodes got bigger and got carried away producing thyroid hormones.
  • ToniG50
    Rose, That is an excellent thought. The last 2 times I had my blood drawn in the afternoon. I will try the morning then next time which I think is the end of April. I am also feeling colder since I have been lowering the dose.
    Toni
  • ToniG50
    Rose,
    I hit send before I waas done....*smile* My TSH was 0.03 on the 137mg with prior Dr and then 0.08 on 125mg for 6 weeks. I was thinking that getting blood drawn and changing dose ever 6 weeks seemed to soon for me also. I just may wait a little longer as she gives the slip to take to the blood lab.
    Toni
  • I've battled the 'lab results' forever...I always come back in the normal range and no dosage change unless I called my doctor and begged for a change. Then once he surprised me and did a TSH test when I wasn't expecting it and I had been taking extra! Oops, I came in at .02 and that was too hyper and he lowered my dose! But the test was at 3:30 in the afternoon so I knew I would test hyper! Dang!

So I researched all my lab results (I have online access to them) because I couldn't remember when each test was taken and it says online when the blood was drawn. Sure enough that's what I discovered. All tests done in the afternoon were reporting towards hyper and all the morning tests were more hypo, or just normal. I take my synthroid first thing in the morning when I get up(6am) and before I even have coffee...(okay, I wait 5 minutes before I drink my coffee) so by afternoon each days dosage is at it most effective concentration in my system. I believe you get a spike from each days dosage and then it levels off...you have to know when that spike is and avoid being tested then.

Now when I am tested I always have it done first thing in the morning, fasting and I don't take my synthroid that day until after the test (shh, don't tell my doctor) and that gives me the best result...it tells where my system is truly at.

A year ago I convinced my doc to up me to .150mcg and months later my TSH tested .07. Nothing was said because the lab stamped it within normal ranges. I knew I was feeling a bit too hyper and switched back to my .125mcg. I was tested several months later (about 6) and my TSH was 2.7! Again stamped as within normal ranges! I knew that was too low for me and sent my doctor an email requesting to be prescribed .137mcg because based on my last two results I should test somewhere in the middle (he agreed) and that's what I am on now. Too soon to test at this point but for the first time since 1998 I finally feel like my old self! Fifteen years to figure out how to get around that 'normal range' of testing and their control on us to finally get on the best dosage for me!

I hope this makes some sense to y'all!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    My dosage was lowered because a couple months ago, I called the doctor and asked for it to be lowered. I was shaking and suffering from insomnia, so I thought it was worth a shot. It didn't make the problem go away entirely, but it did get better. I haven't gone back for lab tests yet, but it is possible to get too much thyroid hormone.