Front squat and press - wtf?

Options
13»

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    This is how I ultimately end up doing them as well. I have bad mobility in my right wrist.

I have mastered regular front squats with the crossover grip, but that's about the best I can do.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tried these today; it was horrible! My wrists felt like they were going to snap, and I was choking myself with the (empty) bar. I asked a trainer for help and ended up just holding the bar up at chin level, nothing with moving my elbows higher, and did a squat and press from there. I still could only do 5. I have to reread this thread later on my laptop.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    They are nasty! My partner is a personal trainer and tried to help me with these but eventually suggested I do the front squat (which chokes me too) and overhead press separately for now. He said that you need to be able to get the upper arms parallel to the ground at the start of the move which I can't do. He also said that they're really tough (and far tougher than standard squats) as the front position of the bar overbalances you and shifts the weight of the body so it's quite a different move. I can sort of do it with lighter weights but struggle to manage 10.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    bump for later. Thanks all for the great links!
  • Yanks1996
    Yanks1996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump for starting stage 2 next week
  • bridgetn85
    bridgetn85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I still don't see how the height of the elbow has much factor in the overall move. Surely it's about where the weight is in relation to your body (i.e. being at the front) and adjusting your centre of gravity during the squat? I can't see how elbow position matters. I am doing front squats now as part of supercharged but there is no press this time. I do feel I can squat lower with the front squat, but can't lift anywhere near the same weight as a back squat.
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I did this with an ez curl bar + plates--I had to start low, and then injured myself doing something else so never got far. But it took out the balance issue I was having in addition to the weight issue. Not my favorite.