Measuring Progress

Options
kayceeme
kayceeme Posts: 105 Member
Hi all,

I've been following The Plan since mid-February with the goal of losing about 20 lbs. While I knew that I had been making progress, I also knew that I've had some ups and downs, gaining weight or stalling out on some of the test days and days when I've taken a time out from The Plan.

However, when I look at my reports in MFP, the difference is really visible. I've been tracking my weight each day and my "Progress" graph shows a sharp drop in February and only small ups and downs since then. Gives me some perspective and is a good motivation to stick with it.

How do you measure your progress and keep yourself motivated?

Replies

• scrabblek8
    scrabblek8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    this is going to sound a little OCD, but i have a little journal in which i write my weight, calorie counts, fat/protein/carbs, water, and jot down whether it's a rest day or what food i'm testing, and then the next morning, i record the weight differential from one day to the next. i could also do this in an excel spreadsheet, and may transfer it eventually. i know all of this info is in fitnesspal, but i like seeing the weight change right next to the calorie and other count info, and it has made it easier to identify what days are the best for me in terms of weight loss.

i've measured my neck/waist/hips a couple of times, and that's kinda cool too, since i've seen a bit of a difference.
  • GmaQueenBee
    GmaQueenBee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree that measuring the hips, waist, thigh, etc and seeing them go down is a great ego booster. I do my measurements every Saturday right after I weigh. After that 1st inch I haven't seen much difference, but I keep hoping and know that I'm doing everything that I can.

I was going to put my information on a spreadsheet but the pad that I keep next to the scale is more accessible. I like the idea of logging my weight in here each day and seeing the progress on a chart. I'm going to start doing that.
  • kayceeme
    kayceeme Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi scrabble8,

Your detailed tracking doesn't sound too OCD to me because The Plan is all about gathering data. I have been keeping daily notes in my food log including what I tested, how I felt that day, how I slept, weight changes etc. Sort of a micro/daily view. That sounds a bit like what you are doing with your written log.

I like the ticker and the progress graphs in MFP for more of a macro/long view so I can see the net effect of my efforts over time. Now that I am getting closer to my goal, I changed my ticker to show "pounds to go" vs "pounds lost" just to see if I find that more motivating. I have a track record of not sticking with diet plans so motivation is really important. Also, the support and interaction with this group helps a lot. Thanks, everyone!

Jocymc,
    I initially saw a couple of inches disappear from my waist but now that has seemed not to happen as much. But, I am not sure I've been consistent about the time of day when I measure. I recall reading something Lyn-Genet wrote about morning being the time of day when our tummies are the flattest. So if I measured in the morning one day and in the afternoon another, the results could be misleading. i do notice that my jeans fit a bit looser around the waist and that I'm not "muffin-topping" quite so much. That's really want I am after most.