Pain in hip joints

Options
LuvtheCubs
LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
Seems the more I am doing the step ups and moving to a higher box, I am starting to get really sore in my hip joint. Particularly on my right side. Yesterday I had to drop my barbell on the right side to finish my second set of step ups. I'm in Stage 2 and only using 15# barbells (2). I don't have a problem with my left hip. It's difficult when my right foot is on the step and I bring my self up. I am using a box that is knee height. Suggestions?

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Front, back or side? Are you warming up before you lift?

I would recommend 1) stretching: maybe before and definitely after. 2) foam rolling: at your hip where it hurts and all the way down to your knee. Tennis ball massage might also work. It's likely tendonitis.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Front, back or side? Are you warming up before you lift?

I would recommend 1) stretching: maybe before and definitely after. 2) foam rolling: at your hip where it hurts and all the way down to your knee. Tennis ball massage might also work. It's likely tendonitis.
    this is exactly what i was going to say. it could also simply be a really tight hip flexor, just stretch really good after.
    389989 Posts: 7
    Options
    I also had/have this problem. I lowered the height and increased the weights. So far so good.
  • LuvtheCubs
    Options
    Pain is the big hig joint on the side. I do warm up before lifting and I stretch out afterwards. If its tendinitis probably should do some Motrin? I'll try the foam roller thing. I see people rolling around on those at the gym.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I also had/have this problem. I lowered the height and increased the weights. So far so good.

your working leg should be parallel to the ground when on the step...if not, you are decreasing your range of motion and shortchanging your glutes.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Are you just having pain during the exercise? Or is this a constant thing? If it's just during the exercise, maybe you need to go back down in weights or height and focus on your form. If it's all the time, you should see a chiropractor. I have hip problems and this exercise is fine if my hips are in alignment. If they get out of alignment, it hurts!
  • LuvtheCubs
    Options
    Are you just having pain during the exercise? Or is this a constant thing? If it's just during the exercise, maybe you need to go back down in weights or height and focus on your form. If it's all the time, you should see a chiropractor. I have hip problems and this exercise is fine if my hips are in alignment. If they get out of alignment, it hurts!
    Good idea. It sure wont hurt to get an adjustment.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,008 Member
    Options
    If "pain", stop doing it. If it's more of a "stretch", dial back your weights but keep the higher bench.

Also, "symmetry" is an issue. Work both sides at the lower weight (recognizing on one side you could have done more weight - doesn't matter).