Yes, this is twisted ideology, I know

Options
elleryjones
elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
But how twisted is it that I get sad when I am not sore after a workout? Mentally I know that the effectiveness of an exercise is not based on my inability to move after completing it, but that feeling can be awfully reassuring as well - that yes, I killed it, yes, good job, good work.

I work out at home as it is impossible for me to get to a gym (long story). I have a TRX, Lebert Equalizers, dumbbells (5's, 10's and 20's), and a bar with plates (5's, 10's and 20's), an adjustable bench, a ball, bands and a treadmill. (Yes, yes, addiction to buying fitness equipment already realized). And a 2 year old whose bedroom is directly under mine, so when I work out at 5:30 am I can't clang around too much.

So it's extremely irritating that while I got in a rock star workout this morning (tried out the new bar with squats with a much higher weight than I'd been able to do with just dumbbells), single leg squats, pull ups with the TRX, decline pushups with the Lebert, etc. And here I am at work, walking around like I did absolutely nothing this morning. I'm thinking that DOMS will probably kick in at some point and my glutes will be screaming, but all my other body parts usually act like they slept through the workout.

Thoughts? (be kind, this is my first post ever on MFP)...

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Should take longer than that if you truly got an almost failure point on lifting. If still semi new at doing it.
    But it's possible that DOMS effect will be no more for you, unless doing a new workout. But, if to almost failure, you are still getting the benefit, even if not sore.

The nice moving around will probably help minimize too.
    Trying doing last thing at night, and then bed. Now, I should be feeling something today later as I get closer to 24 hrs. Bad sleep though, so it might even be more delayed.

Now, I'd bet if you tried to do something intense you'll notice the effect. Try hitting those stairs and bounding up them fast.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) DOMS is not necessary.
    2) Are you increasing the amount of weight you are lifting over the course of weeks?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Did you lift more than last time?
    Did you set any new personal records?
    If not, maybe you should be a little disappointed (just a little).
    But lack soreness? That's something to be glad about.
  • elleryjones
    Options
    Did you lift more than last time?
    Did you set any new personal records?
    If not, maybe you should be a little disappointed (just a little).
    But lack soreness? That's something to be glad about.

Yes and yes. :)

I know I'm twisted. I just like that feeling of fully exhausting yourself. It just seems to be easier to achieve with legs.

Now that I'm eating more and have all this energy, apparently I feel motivated to kill myself every workout. (shakes head)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Maybe just do some sprints or sled pushes or burpees or complexes at the end of your workout! That ought to finish you! :)
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I rarely get DOMS and I hate it. I love DOMS!!!!!

I completely understand how you feel, but yeah, you just have to remind yourself that they are not necessary. Use your brain to determine if you had a good workout or not. As long as you are seeing your strength gains, you are good! Then tell the other part of your brain to shut up :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have the same feeling sometimes and just have to remind myself to look at my progress - did I add reps or increase the weights?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I miss DOMS, and I feel OK with this. Much more palpable sense of accomplishment than a number on a spreadsheet.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It takes almost 2 days for me to feel my DOMS. Today my legs and shoulders are sore from my workout day before yesterday.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How aggressively are you pushing weight increases? If not very, go after your accessory work more. I generally get DOMS the most from the movements that work smaller areas (though I still get it from the big stuff from time to time).
  • elleryjones
    Options

I completely understand how you feel, but yeah, you just have to remind yourself that they are not necessary. Use your brain to determine if you had a good workout or not. As long as you are seeing your strength gains, you are good! Then tell the other part of your brain to shut up :wink:

Thanks everyone. Mostly it helps to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Mentally I know that DOMS aren't required, it's just hard to let go of the mentality to go harder and harder. This mentality has not always been kind to my body and could possibly be why I need to be nice to my body now (ah, the glory days of teaching three aerobics classes back to back every Saturday). ;)

Working out at home limits my workouts somewhat and I can't help but worry if I'm doing all I can do. I have yet to take any progress pics yet, and I'm still fairly new into the eating more philosophy, so I'm excited to see what can happen when I fuel my body properly for the first time, um, ever. ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone. Mostly it helps to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Mentally I know that DOMS aren't required, it's just hard to let go of the mentality to go harder and harder. This mentality has not always been kind to my body and could possibly be why I need to be nice to my body now (ah, the glory days of teaching three aerobics classes back to back every Saturday). ;)

Working out at home limits my workouts somewhat and I can't help but worry if I'm doing all I can do. I have yet to take any progress pics yet, and I'm still fairly new into the eating more philosophy, so I'm excited to see what can happen when I fuel my body properly for the first time, um, ever. ;)

I would really, really recommend that you make multiple metrics to gauge progress.

For me that includes photos, the scale, measurements, lift poundage, bodyfat%.

And I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I really think this is an important step.