Deadlift Belt

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
Yay or nay? I'm doing SL 5x5 and will soon be DLing 100 kgs (220 lbs) which is a bit more than my LBM. Is the belt needed/beneficial to a newbie like me? Is it something I can use for more than DL? I honestly don't know any about this belt and won't be buying for a month at least but wanted to get some homework done before I start looking (its a pain in the *kitten* to find this stuff here in Saudia)

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you get a belt, get one that is 4" all the way around and 10mm thick, leather. Do not get the kind that is wider in the rear. You can use it for every lift - just the heaviest set or two. It will give your belly something to press out against, giving you a very stiff core, and the result is that you will be able to lift a little more. It's not a requirement. You don't have to ever use one. I have one and I like it a lot.

Do not add a belt until you feel your form is decent. They are not a cure for bad form.

Rippetoe has a little blurb on them in the Squats chapter of Starting Strength.

In the scheme of things, shoes are more important than belt. Make sure you have appropriate shoes, even if that means just Chuck Taylors or barefoot.

Here's Wendler's blurb http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/training-and-fashion/

Edit: found the Rippetoe excerpt as well. Thank you, Internets! http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=34795
  • taunto
    Options
    Awesome. Since like you said, nowadays with SL I'm making PR's each time I hit the gym I don't think I need the belt. Wouldn't belt help with OHP though? Remember that stomach breathing thing you told me to be able to lift more. Wouldn't a belt basically be doing the same thing?

Thanks also for mentioning the shoes. I will see if I can find them here :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Belt will also help with ohp and bench .

I'd go with an Inzer forever belt if I were you.
    I got one and love it. And they'll literally last you the rest of your life.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Do not add a belt until you feel your form is decent. They are not a cure for bad form.

This needs to be emphasized. They can make your form worse if you're not careful.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other guys. Make sure your form is down and only use the belt on your heaviest sets.

With regards to footwear, I've had a lot of success deadlifting shoeless. Too many shoes are elevated in the heel. Shoeless allows more drive through your heels.
  • taso42
    Options
    Belt will also help with ohp and bench .

I'd go with an Inzer forever belt if I were you.
    I got one and love it. And they'll literally last you the rest of your life.

unless you get too fat or too skinny :bigsmile:

i have about 1 notch to go before i outgrow mine. i guess this will signal the end of my "bulk" :laugh:
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think I need a belt yet but would like to squat 500 lbs in a few years. Does this look like a good one?

http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-4-Inch-Performance-Profile-Large/dp/B001QKCHW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364256015&sr=8-2&keywords=weightlifting+belt
  • taso42
    Options
    I don't think I need a belt yet but would like to squat 500 lbs in a few years. Does this look like a good one?

http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-4-Inch-Performance-Profile-Large/dp/B001QKCHW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364256015&sr=8-2&keywords=weightlifting+belt

Looks good as a "starter belt". You almost can't go wrong given the price. It will certainly add some rigidity to your core as you lift.

Eventually you may want to upgrade to a leather belt, 10mm thick and 4" wide, which will give you profound rigidity.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I personally hate the entire premise behind them. Chances are good that if you can lift something with a belt that you can't lift without one, you really need to work on your stabilizer muscles, and pay more attention to what you are doing with them when lifting.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I practice a routine at my desk that has, so far, kept me from needing a belt. (novice lifter so take it for what its worth). I call it a routine because it includes 4 different techniques, but I do them all at the same time.

Abdominal brace, shoulder packing, flexing pelvic floor and the Valsalva maneuver. I try to do all of these things at the same time and hold it for around 10 seconds for a few reps.

I often hear that a belt gives you something to push against but I have always felt that is just the wrong way to describe it. If you do the abdominal brace your core will compress and will get larger. If you were wearing a belt when you do this it will provide resistance and make the core even more rigid. Telling someone to push against the belt may cause them to actually distend their belly out. That might work while you are wearing the belt but if you tried that same thing without the belt you may have a blow out.
  • taunto
    Options

Looks good as a "starter belt". You almost can't go wrong given the price. It will certainly add some rigidity to your core as you lift.

Eventually you may want to upgrade to a leather belt, 10mm thick and 4" wide, which will give you profound rigidity.

Why not just buy a good belt to start with? From what I've read, they last a lifetime so might as well just make a one time investment eh?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Why not just buy a good belt to start with? From what I've read, they last a lifetime so might as well just make a one time investment eh?

I agree butbeing half the cost and micro adjustable are nice reasons. Probably last a long time for the average lifter.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

no not really. doesn't look rigid at all, but that's just based on the picture and the description.

As above just buy a decent belt from day 1. A 500lb squat is a serious lift, not the time to be saving money IMO.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I personally hate the entire premise behind them. Chances are good that if you can lift something with a belt that you can't lift without one, you really need to work on your stabilizer muscles, and pay more attention to what you are doing with them when lifting.

tell that to every powerlifter/strongman ever.

I can pull around 385x5 beltless. 430x5 with a belt.
    I can squat 315x3 beltless. But can hit 365x2 with a belt.
    My OHP and Bench are also slightly higher with a belt on.

It makes a difference. Yes I agree people can bring up their core strength and continue lifting without one but if you want every possible pound, throw a belt on.
    My lower back seems to get more of a pump when I train beltless, and then it's hard to get assistance work done for me.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

no not really. doesn't look rigid at all, but that's just based on the picture and the description.

As above just buy a decent belt from day 1. A 500lb squat is a serious lift, not the time to be saving money IMO.

this.
    A 30 dollar belt isn't going to last you forever.
    And you're eventually going to have to drop 60-70 on a good belt.

I prefer to just save up the 70 bucks and get a good one from the beginning. Worst case you stop lifting down the road, and can sell the belt, because Inzer's last a long time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I disagree. It's not all about the stabilizer muscles. Also, for example, quad muscles are a lot bigger than ab muscles - at some point they just cannot keep up. Why limit yourself?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

this.
    A 30 dollar belt isn't going to last you forever.
    And you're eventually going to have to drop 60-70 on a good belt.

I prefer to just save up the 70 bucks and get a good one from the beginning. Worst case you stop lifting down the road, and can sell the belt, because Inzer's last a long time.

^^yep.

I have an Inzer belt. It was about $70 and well worth the money. The belt itself does not look too bad however - it's just not that rigid.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    tell that to every powerlifter/strongman ever.

I can pull around 385x5 beltless. 430x5 with a belt.
    I can squat 315x3 beltless. But can hit 365x2 with a belt.
    My OHP and Bench are also slightly higher with a belt on.

It makes a difference. Yes I agree people can bring up their core strength and continue lifting without one but if you want every possible pound, throw a belt on.
    My lower back seems to get more of a pump when I train beltless, and then it's hard to get assistance work done for me.

At BW I don't think it matters that much. As you start to get heavier it matters more. definitely only use it on your heaviest sets though.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I don't like to wear my belt for anything except OHP. It's just feels weird to me on the other lifts.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    This is the video I watched when I was wondering if I needed a belt and why I decided to not start using one yet.

Do any of you see anything wrong with any of this advice?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrwUdaHjE7o