Intake calories...the book compared to website calculators

Options
fruitloop2
fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
Does anyone find the book's method for how many calories to eat a little low? Most website calculators calculate me for right around 2100 calories (for workout days...obviously a little less on days I sit on my *kitten*) where the book puts me at 1771 calories on workout days. Right now I aim to eat just over 1600 calories a day...sometimes 1750 if my net isn't high enough for my liking (I like to keep my net right around 1300-1400). Just wondering what other feel/think about the book calculations.

Replies

• fruitloop2
    Options
    Bumping this...anyone?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    In NROL Supercharged (or maybe on the NROL forums -- can't remember where I read it) Lou Schuler writes a little paragraph on the nutrition advice given in the For Women book -- he clarifies that he did not necessarily intend to state an exact amount of calories to be consumed, but wanted to make the point that women generally need to eat more calories than a typical "starvation/crash diet" would provide.

When I followed the calculations for weight loss, I maintained. Now that I'm doing Supercharged, I'm cutting my calories and eating a bit cleaner during the Basic Training stages to hopefully lose some fat and pounds. Once I hit the more advanced stages, I'll probably adjust again.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    When I first began NROL4W, the calories in the book were perfect for me. My TDEE changed and I've since increased them a bit, but I think they're a good guideline to start with. However, I also really like the Scooby calculator.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,008 Member
    Options
    The NROL4W calculator did NOT work for me....simply put, I ended up eating too many calories and I gained (unwanted) weight on this program.

Dial back your calories if your scale weight is NOT moving down doing this program 3 x per week. (I have no comment for 2 x week or 1 x week calories.)
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    My scale is moving just fine for the most part with what I'm doing. I just found the calculations they use to be kind of low compared to other website calculators...like Scooby and fat2fitradio. It was a difference of about 300-400 calories. The # they gave me would be what my deficit would be on the websites...TDEE-20%.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My advice is to do what you're doing now and adjust accordingly. If you're not making strength gains and are tired, bump your calories up. If you're not losing weight the way you'd like, bump them down.
  • bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    if we've just started lifting shouldn't we initially gain a few pounds or no? i've gained 1.5 lbs since i've started but i've also upped my calories. i adjusted the formula in the book by 300 calories as the auther suggested and when i do all of the other calculators they put me in the same range between 1400-1700 calories.