FACEBOOK
TWITTER
GOOGLE+
SAVE
PRINT

REALLY?
Anahad O’Connor tackles health myths.
THE FACTS

For most people, eating fruit goes along with a healthy diet. But for people with diabetes, it’s a different story.

Should fruit be kept to a minimum or even avoided altogether because of its sugar content? Or do the fiber and other nutrients it contains minimize its effect on blood sugar? Because of a lack of research, and conflicting advice, there has not been a clear answer.

But a new study in Nutrition Journal should provide some guidance: It found that restricting fruit intake did not seem to benefit diabetics.

In the study, the first randomized trial to address the issue, researchers recruited 63 overweight men and women with newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetes. All of the subjects were given medical care and nutrition advice, including suggestions to limit calories. But some were randomly assigned to limit their fruit intake, while a second group was instructed to eat at least two pieces of fruit daily. The goal was to see how this affected their levels of glycosylated hemoglobin, which provides an indication of blood sugar level over time.

The first group ended up consuming about 135 grams of fruit a day, roughly equivalent to a single orange or banana, while the second group consumed about 320 grams of fruit daily.

After 12 weeks, both groups had lost weight and had smaller waists, but those who ate more fruit had the greatest reductions. And there was no significant difference between the two groups when it came to their blood sugar measures.

“Considering the many possible beneficial effects of fruit,” the authors wrote, “we recommend that fruit intake should not be restricted in Type 2 diabetic subjects.”

THE BOTTOM LINE

Avoiding fruit may not prove beneficial for Type 2 diabetics, but more research is needed.

A version of this article appeared in print on 03/19/2013, on

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this very interesting article. It shows yet again that Diabetes is a very individual condition and there is no general perscriptive approach. Only by trial and error can we develop a plan which suits us as individuals. Information and education are vital tools in helping us to achieve an optimum approach as is the shared experience we benefit from in being members of this group. Thanks again for taking the time to share this information.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what kind of nutritional advice all the subjects were given. I would also like to know if the fruit eating group and the limited fruit eating group were eating differing amounts of total carbs.
  • wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    Great article.. Thanks for sharing with the group.

WCUCATS77
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    That is interesting... I still haven't test most fruit.
  • joapple11
    joapple11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was just asking my health coach about eating fruit today. This article was very interesting. Thanks for sharing it. Off I go to buy fruit! I'm glad, because I like fruit in moderation.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what kind of nutritional advice all the subjects were given. I would also like to know if the fruit eating group and the limited fruit eating group were eating differing amounts of total carbs.

Here is a link to the original scientific article. You can read the parameters of the study here. It's a very interesting journal with interesting studies about lots of things

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/12/1/29
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My question is, did both groups eat banan's (very high sugar) or did one eat banana's and other eat berries? makes a big difference.

I try to get at least 3 fruits in a day. If not a berry type, I usually eat the fruit by itself as one of my snacks. That way it doesn't raise my sugars so bad.

I can eat some fruit with other foods, but it is limited. All banana's (eat only 1/2, apples, pears, plums, need to be eaten by self). I can eat an orange with breakfast (if that breakfast is eggs and not oatmeal). Same with prunes, but only 1/2 serving size.

It is all trial and error and testing before/after meals.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating fruit, and haven't really noticed a difference in my blood sugars. Mine our pretty good right now though anyway.